You’d have to be living under a rock lately not to know that when it comes to skin care, vitamin C serums are all the rage, but do you know why? If you don’t, fear not! We’re about to school you on why vitamin C serums have become so deservedly popular and offer some suggestions about what we think are the seven best drugstore vitamin C serums out there (and yes, they all comply with our vegan standards). We think by the time we’re finished, you’ll find yourself hopping on the vitamin C serum train along with everyone else!
What Does a Vitamin C Serum Do?
Vitamin C has a multitude of benefits that have earned it its well-deserved place in the skin care world. Applying it in serum form is one of the best ways to infuse a concentrated amount of vitamin C deep into your skin for ultimate results.
Here are but a few benefits of a vitamin C serum:
- Vitamin C reduces the appearance of wrinkles and improves texture - With regular and consistent use (studies like this one indicate it will take about 12 weeks), vitamin C applied topically works to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and improve the overall texture of your skin.
- Vitamin C protects the skin from ultraviolet rays - Studies have shown that when combined with vitamin E and ferulic acid, and followed up with a layer of SPF, the antioxidant properties in vitamin C will protect the skin from damage caused by ultraviolet light. This combination can also help alleviate redness from the skin.
- Vitamin C reduces the appearance of dark spots - Studies also suggest that vitamin C will help reduce the appearance of dark spots. It does this by blocking the production of melanin, which is what gives our skin its color and occasionally, dark spots.
- Vitamin C helps with acne - The anti-inflammatory properties of vitamin C help keep the production of sebum under control. Sebum, if you’re not familiar with it, is the oil our skin naturally produces and can sometimes cause breakouts.
- Vitamin C is a great anti-aging ingredient -One reason why skin starts to look older as we age is that our collagen production decreases, causing us to lose the plumpness that makes our skin look young. Studies suggest that vitamin C helps promote collagen production, helping skin regain that youthful look and plumpness.
- Vitamin C helps improve hydration - These same studies suggest that topical vitamin C helps improve hydration levels in the skin; so if you’re experiencing dry skin, we encourage incorporating vitamin C into your skincare routine.
Best Drugstore Vitamin C Serums
Now that you know what vitamin C can do for your skin, let’s talk about which vitamin C serum is right for your skin type and how you can get it without breaking the bank! Here are a few of our favorite vitamin C serums, drugstore-edition:
1. Best Overall Drugstore Vitamin C Serum
Fleur & Bee: Nectar of the C Vitamin C Serum
One look at all the five-star reviews on this product and you’ll see how well it delivers. Meant for all skin types, this lightweight, nourishing serum will help with everything from dark spots to wrinkles. With regular use, it will make your skin glow like nobody’s business. Packed with soothing actives like hyaluronic acid, jojoba oil, vitamin E, and aloe vera, it’s also a very soothing and hydrating serum that is great for sensitive skin.
2. Best Drugstore Vitamin C Serum for Oily Skin
Avalon Organics: Radiance Serum with Vitamin C
Finding a serum for oily skin can be a challenge, as many contain oils that can potentially clog pores. That’s why we love this oil-free vitamin C serum from Avalon. This fast-absorbing, dermatologist-tested, hypo-allergenic serum is also great for sensitive skin and contains nourishing actives like squalane, which helps balance oil in your skin.
3. Best Drugstore Vitamin C Serum for Sensitive Skin
Mad Hippie: Vitamin C Serum
Speaking of sensitive skin, those with it know how difficult it can be to find any product that works well for their skin. Mad Hippie’s vitamin C serum may make your life a little easier. The natural ingredients used in this product render this serum much less likely to irritate. In fact, with soothing actives like hyaluronic acid (to hydrate the skin) and ferulic acid (to calm the skin), it’s the perfect way to work towards more radiant skin without causing further irritation.
4. Best Drugstore Vitamin C Serum for Aging Skin
It’s a sad but true fact of life that as we age, our skin has a tendency to lose its elasticity, meaning it doesn’t bounce back as easily as it used to. Versed’s vitamin C serum gets to work on restoring skin’s firmness and making it look younger (for that reason, we also recommend using it on your neck). Packed with vitamin C, it also contains licorice root to give skin a radiant glow and niacinamide (otherwise known as vitamin B3), to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Combat the appearance of dark spots that come with age with this vitamin C serum.
5. Best Drugstore Vitamin C Serum for Dry Skin
DERMA E: Vitamin C Concentrated Serum
If you have dry skin, hyaluronic acid is your skincare BFF. As a humectant, it is incredible at helping skin retain water rather than drying it out. Hyaluronic acid also helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, a condition to which dry skin is exceptionally susceptible. This serum also contains vitamin E, which is well known for helping to moisturize the skin; it also contains aloe vera, which is known for helping to calm and soothe dry skin. Like other vitamin C serums, it also helps restore your skin’s radiance.
6. Best Drugstore Vitamin C Serum for Combination Skin
Pacifica: Sea and C Love Vitamin
When searching for a vitamin C serum that works for combination skin, it’s crucial to find one that works with all skin types. Formulated to balance both dry and oily skin, this serum also fights the effects of blue light on the skin, (i.e., the light that comes off our computers and cell phones which has been identified as a skin stressor). It contains the botanical powers of marine extracts, hyaluronic acid and green tea to keep your skin glowing. Whether you have combination skin or just spend a lot of time on your computer, you might want to give this serum from Pacifica a try.
7. Best Drugstore Vitamin C Serum for Glowing Skin
Fleur & Bee: Nectar of the C Vitamin C Serum
We promise we’re not trying to toot our own horn– but the fact is, if you want really radiant, glowing skin, Nectar of the C truly delivers. In addition to the soothing actives mentioned above, it also contains ingredients like pink grapefruit oil to help brighten the skin, vitamin B3 to help it glow, and of course, vitamin C. But don’t take our word for it. Have a look at some of the reviews. Happy customers have raved that “This is by far the best serum ever”, and “it made my skin glow and evened out my skin tone.”
These picks go to show that obtaining brighter, more radiant skin does not have to break the bank. Find these recommendations at a drugstore near you– or as near as the “buy now” button on your screen. Serum your way to beautiful skin with vitamin C.
Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.