While licorice proper may be one of the world’s most divisive candies, there’s absolutely no question whatsoever that licorice root is one of the most effective skin care ingredients around (not to mention its other health benefits). That’s why, in this blog post, we’ll discuss what is licorice root extract, licorice root extract skin benefits, and how to use licorice root extract as part of your skin care daily routine.
IN A NUTSHELL
Ingredient Category: Antioxidant
Main Benefit: Licorice root extract does everything from help lessen the appearance of dark spots to soothe irritated skin.
Find It In: Prince Charcoal Detox Mask.
What is Licorice Root Extract?
Licorice root extract comes from the licorice plant, otherwise known as glycyrrhiza glabra (given how hard this is to pronounce, you can see why they just call it licorice!). Licorice root extract, which has a sweet taste, comes from the root of the plant. Usually found in Western Europe, Southern Asia, and the Middle East, it has been used for centuries, not just as a medical remedy for ailments, but as a tasty treat.
Licorice Root Extract Skin Benefits
Like so many natural remedies, you’re probably not even aware of just how many ways licorice root benefits the skin. From protecting it from environmental stressors to helping it glow, here are just a few of the many wonderful skin care benefits of licorice root extract!
- Licorice root extract helps fade the look of dark spots - One thing licorice root certainly has no shortage of is hard-to-pronounce elements. Take for example, a substance called glabridin. Found in licorice root, it helps diminish the appearance of dark spots.
- Licorice root extract helps prevent dark spots - Guess what glabridin also does? It not only helps diminish the look of dark spots, it helps prevent them, too, by inhibiting the production of a bothersome little enzyme called tyrosinase which controls the production of melanin. When it produces too much melanin, the result is dark spots and/or uneven skin tone.
- Licorice root extract helps even out skin tone - You don’t have to have dark spots to have uneven skin tone, but if your skin is uneven, glabridin will help even it out.
- Licorice root helps brighten the skin - Is your skin dull and lifeless? Try a little licorice root! It’s known for its ability to brighten the skin!
- Licorice root helps protect the skin - Thanks to the antioxidant effects of something called flavonoid, licorice root helps protect the skin from environmental stressors that can harm it.
- Licorice root helps soothe irritated skin - If you’ve got skin that acts up easily, you really should think about giving licorice root a try! Known for its ability to calm and soothe easily irritated skin, it’s one of your best defenses against irritation.
- Licorice root helps with redness - Remember when we said that licorice root is just full of hard-to-pronounce words? Well, because of something called glycyrrhizin, licorice root is also fabulous when it comes to dealing with redness!
- Licorice root extract helps keep oil under control - OK, kids, we’ve got just one more insane word for you and then we’ll stop. Say it with us: licochalcone! Whether you actually said it or not doesn’t even really matter--all that matters is that you know it will help control your oil!
How to Use Licorice Root Extract
Of course you might be wondering how to use licorice root extract as part of your skin care routine. It’s pretty simple once you have just one great product with it. Here’s a great way to introduce your skin to licorice root extract:
Cleanse the Skin
Any good skincare routine starts with cleaning the skin. The best way to do that is with a gentle, non-drying cleanser formulated for every skin type. Our So Clean! facial cleanser is perfect! Not only does it clean the skin of dirt and oil, it will even take off makeup.
Tone the Skin
A quick spritz of a moisturizing toner is all you need to restore hydration to the skin! Our Rose and Shine rosewater toner is the perfect way to make sure your skin is hydrated before moving on with your skin care routine! (And by the way, you can always treat yourself to a few little extra spritzes during the day as long as it’s on clean skin!)
If you’ve never used a serum before, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it! One great way to start is with our new, Just Dew It hydrating serum! Full of incredible hydrating ingredients like aloe vera, glycerin, organic jojoba seed oil, and vitamin E, it hydrates and plumps the skin, making it look younger and more vibrant!
Use a Moisturizer
No matter what kind of skin you have or what season it is, it’s always super important to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Our new H2 Oh Yeah hydrating moisturizer delivers serious moisture and is formulated for every skin type. Packed with 21 actives including sunflower oil, squalane, vitamin B5, vitamin B3 (niacinamide), jojoba oil, and hyaluronic acid just to name a few!
Apply an Eye Cream
Our hydrating serum and moisturizers are wonderful but to really take care of the eye area, you need a great eye cream. Our Eyes Eyes Baby anti-aging eye cream will brighten your eye area and reduce the appearance of wrinkles, bags, and puffiness. Just remember to be really careful around that area (the skin is much thinner there) and use your ring finger so as not to tug at the skin too hard.
Use a Detox Mask
Even a great skin care routine probably can’t get all the dirt and gunk out of your skin which is why it’s so important to occasionally use a detox mask that does! Our Prince Charcoal detox mask is like a magnet when it comes to getting in there and getting out the oil, makeup, sunscreen and anything else that makes skin look less than its best. And guess what — licorice root extract is part of how we do it! While it’s certainly not the only ingredient that makes this product work, it’s a key factor.
So the next time someone puts out one of those big tubs of licorice at work, think about how effective this divisive candy is when it comes to skincare. Although eating it won’t do anything for your skin (sorry about that!), using it in a great skincare product will, so keep that in mind the next time you’re making a skin care purchase!