You certainly don’t have to be a skin care fanatic to know that antioxidants are a crucial, highly effective part of a great skin care regime. That said, you may not be aware of what antioxidants actually do, how they actually work, or all their incredible benefits. As we’ll see from the article below, the primary job of antioxidants is to act as a shield of sorts to the skin, protecting it from factors actively trying to harm it. But that’s far from their only role!
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: Antioxidants help to protect your skin from environmental stressors that can lead to common signs of aging like dark spots, fine lines, and wrinkles.
Good to Know: Some of the best antioxidants to look for in your skin care products are vitamin C, niacinamide, and vitamin E.
What Are Antioxidants?
Very simply put, antioxidants protect the skin from environmental stressors that could otherwise cause a lot of damage and irritation. You may not realize it, but there are oxygen molecules out there in the atmosphere, trying to rob your skin of electrons in order to even out their own (for some reason those molecules are only happy when they have an even number of electrons!). Like the heroine of a great story, antioxidants step in and give those molecules one of their own electrons, thus protecting your skin from outside forces and keeping it looking healthy and radiant!
One of the best things about antioxidants is that they can be found naturally (in fact, there are even some naturally occurring antioxidants in the body!). From plants, to fruits and vegetables to essential oils, antioxidants are all around you. Although we obviously include them in our products, it never hurts to incorporate them into your diet through berries, nuts, coffee, and dark chocolate (Yum!).
What Are the Benefits of Antioxidants?
By protecting the skin from environmental stressors, antioxidants yield all kinds of benefits for the skin. For example, antioxidants have serious anti-aging benefits. When environmental stressors do manage to get to the skin, they can really wear it down, causing fine lines and wrinkles to form, making skin look older before its time. By stopping the environmental stressors from getting to the skin in the first place, they can help prevent the common signs of aging.
In the same vein, antioxidants make the skin look plump by helping protect it from forces trying to attack its elasticity. Chances are if you use a good antioxidant, you’ll notice that your skin feels firmer and tighter than before. As if that weren’t enough, some antioxidants even help hydrate the skin, helping to prolong a more youthful appearance!
Notice a glow after you use a good serum? That could very well be from antioxidants which are known for their ability to regenerate the skin for an ageless appearance. If you’re into that dewey, glowy look, you really need antioxidants!
And if you suffer from any kind of skin discomfort, antioxidants are a must. Caring for your skin with natural defenses, antioxidants have a wonderful calming effect on skin. They are also a godsend to anyone with uneven skin tone as they can really help even out the appearance of skin tone.
What Are the Best Natural Antioxidants for Skin Care?
If you’ve ever read the ingredients labels on Fleur & Bee packaging, you know we’re big, big fans of antioxidants. They appear in one form or another in just about every one of our products. To illustrate, we’ve chosen a few of our favorites and broken down what they do, how they benefit your skin, and how you can incorporate them into your skin care routine!
- Vitamin B (Niacinamide) - Vitamin B, or niacinamide, works not only to protect the skin from environmental stressors, it helps control sebum, the oil your body naturally produces and which can really clog up pores.
- Vitamin C – If you have an uneven skin tone, Vitamin C should unquestionably be in your ingredient arsenal. It’s a total champ when it comes to reducing the appearance of discoloration and when combined with vitamin E, does an incredible job of evening out skin tone. That’s why we’ve made it the star ingredient of our Nectar of the C, vitamin C serum.
- Vitamin E - We get positively giddy around here when an ingredient pulls double duty, which is why we can’t get enough of vitamin E. From helping to fade the look of dark spots to moisturizing the skin, vitamin E is one of the best anti-aging antioxidants around, which is why we’ve included it in both our Crėme de la Cream moisturizer and our Eyes Eyes Baby eye cream!
- Ferulic Acid - They say teamwork makes the dream work, which is why we’re such fans of ferulic acid. Found in the walls of plants, ferulic acid has a compounding antioxidant effect when combined with vitamins C and E, and you better believe we included it in our vitamin C serum.
- Pink Grapefruit – If you think you might detect a slightly fruity smell in our Nectar of the C, vitamin C serum, you aren’t imagining things. We’ve included this natural ingredient both because it’s full of antioxidants and because it contains citric acid, which is a fabulous exfoliator. If you notice your skin glowing after using our serum, pink grapefruit might have something to do with it!
- Organic Aloe Vera – It’s hard to reconcile the fact that aloe vera, which is known for its ability to both soothe and heal the skin, is also great at protecting it! Containing plant-based antioxidants called polyphenols, organic aloe vera actually helps form a thin, protective layer on the skin, helping to protect it from environmental stressors. That’s why we use it in our So Clean! Facial Cleanser as well as in our Prince Charcoal Natural Detox Mask.
In short, whether you find them in dark chocolate or Prince Charcoal, you could have no better protector for your skin than antioxidants!