When you’re going for that glow, uneven skin tone can be the difference between “Wow!” and “Womp, womp.” Making sure your skin is flawless from top to bottom is the ultimate goal. But how do you prevent or fix uneven skin tone?
We’re here to help! Stay tuned to find out what causes uneven skin tone, how to prevent uneven skin tone, how to even skin tone, the best ingredients to even skin tone, the best products for uneven skin tone, and answers to your frequently asked questions.
What is Uneven Skin Tone? What Causes Uneven Skin Tone?
Uneven skin tone is when the skin on your face or other parts of your body is different in color from some areas to others. Uneven skin tone happens when melanin (which gives skin its color) is overproduced in some spots, which is called hyperpigmentation.
There are many causes of uneven skin tone and hyperpigmentation including:
- Hormonal issues (like melasma, a condition common among pregnant women that manifests in blotchy spots)
- Dry skin
- Sun exposure
- Skin injury
How to Prevent Uneven Skin Tone
Some of the causes of uneven skin tone you can’t do anything about, but there are certain things you can do to help prevent uneven skin tone:
- Don’t pick at your skin! Acne scarring is one of the major causes of uneven skin tone, and you get the scarring by picking at pimples. I know it’s tempting to pop those suckers, but don’t do it! Your future self will thank you.
- Limit sun exposure. Be sure that you’re always wearing sunscreen if you’re outside - even if it’s cloudy. The sun can cause major damage to your skin including uneven skin tone, age spots, and wrinkles. SPF and shade are your skin’s best friends.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking can cause a whole host of health issues, including accelerating signs of aging.
- Drink your water! Keeping yourself hydrated is one of the best things you can do for your body and your skin. Remember, eight 8 oz glasses of water. Every. Single. Day.
How to Even Skin Tone
Now that you know how to prevent uneven skin tone, what can you do if it’s already there? If you already have uneven skin tone on your face, you need to address three things that are making your skin tone appear uneven: skin texture, dark spots and redness.
Let’s talk about texture. The smoother your skin is, the more even it will look. One of the first steps in getting smoother skin is exfoliating. Exfoliating can help your skin feel baby smooth. But, be careful. Over-exfoliating can strip your skin of its natural oils, so it’s best to only exfoliate 1-3 times per week.
Another way to improve skin texture is to make sure you’re moisturizing at least twice a day. A good moisturizer will help to minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles, and provide a protective barrier on your skin to reduce harm caused by environmental stressors. Fleur & Bee’s Créme de la Cream Face Cream is full of super hydrating ingredients like aloe, sunflower oil, and glycerin that will really help to smooth your skin.
Vitamin C Serum
Now, dark spots. The best way to minimize the look of dark spots is to use a vitamin c serum twice a day. If you have sensitive skin, be sure to use a serum that has gentle forms of vitamin C like sodium ascorbyl phosphate or magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. You don’t want to trade dark spots for any additional redness. We use sodium ascorbyl phosphate in our Nectar of the C Vitamin C serum, so that people with sensitive skin could take advantage of the awesome power of a Vitamin C serum!
Avoid Irritating Ingredients
Finally, how to even skin tone redness, because nobody wants to look like a lobster. The best way to temporarily reduce redness is to avoid certain irritating ingredients like parabens, artificial fragrances, and sodium lauryl sulfates. You may also want to add a soothing toner to your skincare lineup. Fleur & Bee’s Rose and Shine Rose Water Toner only has two ingredients (you guessed it, rose oil and water!), so you know you’re not getting any nasty irritants.
If you’re still feeling like your skin isn’t living it’s best life, you can always consult your dermatologist for alternative treatment options.
Best Ingredients to Even Skin Tone
There are certain ingredients that you want to look for in your skincare products (especially your serums, toners, and moisturizers) that will help even skin tone.
- Vitamin C — Its incredible antioxidant properties will help to even your skin tone, and give it a brighter appearance. Vitamin C is probably the most effective ingredient to evening skin tone.
- Vitamin E — Vitamin E helps to minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and helps boost the benefits of vitamin C when used together.
- Vitamin B3— Also known as niacinamide, this anti aging vitamin helps to rejuvenate skin, and diminish the look of dark spots.
- Squalane — Mimicking the skin’s natural oils, squalane provides the ultimate hydration for your skin.
- Rosehip Oil —Rosehip oil is bursting with antioxidants and omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids providing an abundance of moisture.
- Green Tea — This powerhouse antioxidant helps awaken the skin and diminish the look of wrinkles.
- Rose water — Used for centuries, rose water has lots of benefits, including to help temporarily tighten pores and alleviate redness.
- Kojic Acid — Kojic Acid is an antioxidant derived from mushrooms, and can help fade the look of dark spots.
- Hyaluronic Acid — Hyaluronic acid moisturizes and plumps skin.
- Witch Hazel — A natural toner, witch hazel can temporarily reduce the look of pores, and protect your skin from environmental stressors.
Making sure you’re including many of these ingredients into your routine can truly up your skin care game.
Best Products for Uneven Skin Tone
How to even skin tone on your face comes down to the products in your skincare routine. We’ve done some research and compiled a list of some of the best products to help even skin tone.
The best exfoliator for uneven skin tone is Fresh’s Sugar Face Polish which uses brown sugar as a natural exfoliator, and combines it with vitamin C to give your skin extra polish.
If you’re looking to splurge, Tata Harper’s Regenerating cleanser can be used as a daily exfoliant and uses apricot and willow bark as natural exfoliators.
The best toner for uneven skin tone would be Boscia’s Rosewater Mist with Witch Hazel. It combines rose water and witch hazel - the two best natural toners - to soothe and refresh your skin.
An alternative option is Herbivore’s Jasmine Green Tea Oil Control Toner. The jasmine, green tea, and willow bark all work together to soothe temporary redness.
Best Vitamin C Serum
The best vitamin C serum for uneven skin tone is Fleur & Bee’s Nectar of the C Vitamin C Serum. This serum uses a combination of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Ferulic acid to smooth and brighten your complexion.
Another option is Youth to the People’s Superfood Firm and Brighten Vitamin C Serum which includes vitamin C and hyaluronic acid for brighter skin.
The best cream for uneven skin tone on your face is Sukin’s Rosehip Hydrating Day Cream. This cream uses ultra hydrating ingredients like rosehip, shea butter, and jojoba oil as well as vitamin E to moisturize skin minimizing the look of those fine lines and wrinkles.
An alternative option would be Fleur & Bee’s Créme de la Cream Face Cream. Créme de la Cream contains the power combo of vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin B3 to diminish the look of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots.
Frequently Asked Questions About Evening Skin Tone
Can you fix uneven skin tone?
Yes! There are definitely things you can do to even your skin tone. You want to make sure you improve your skin’s texture by adding an exfoliator to your routine and moisturizing everyday. You also want to address dark spots and redness by using a vitamin C serum and a gentle, natural toner.
Is uneven skin tone permanent?
No! There may be some causes of uneven skin tone that you can’t prevent, but there are things you can do to diminish uneven skin tone. It doesn’t have to be permanent.
Fleur & Bee: Know Who You’re Buying From
At Fleur & Bee, we’re a small, close-knit team that makes natural skin care that's good for you, good for your wallet, and good for the planet.
Our clean skin care products are packed with carefully selected botanical ingredients that are time-tested and proven to work gently. Our collection is 100% vegan and cruelty-free and are free of nasties like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, silicones, and artificial fragrances. Oh and everything is under $30!
We’re also a sustainable skin care brand. Our products are crafted with sustainably sourced ingredients and are made with 100% renewable wind energy, and our packaging is up to 90% recyclable!
If we sound like your kind of clean skin care brand, check out our product lineup! Also, stay tuned to our blog for tips on easy, affordable, good-for-you skin care choices and ways to get your glow on!