If you haven’t heard about ferulic acid for skin, it’s a real little superhero of an ingredient, especially when it comes to prevention. In fact, a great way to think of it is to think of Wonder Woman’s magic bracelets. They deflect anything and everything that tries to cause her harm.
As we’ll see below, that’s one of ferulic acid’s main jobs: to protect the skin from elements that try to harm it!
In this article we’ll discuss what ferulic acid is, what ferulic acid does, 10 benefits of ferulic acid, how to use ferulic acid, what kinds of skin types should use ferulic acid, and answer your frequently asked questions about ferulic acid.
What is Ferulic Acid?
Part of the hydroxycinnamic acid group, ferulic acid is an antioxidant found in fruits, grains, vegetables, and even certain grasses. Ferulic acid can be found in everything from bananas to bamboo shoots to broccoli. It’s even in boiled spaghetti! Luckily, it’s also found in skin care--like our Nectar of the C serum--so you don’t have to resort to using spaghetti on your skin, boiled or otherwise.
Ferulic Acid as Protector
Our magic bracelet analogy above pretty much explains exactly what ferulic acid does. As an antioxidant, ferulic acid for skin basically prevents environmental stressors from harming the skin, which is what makes it such a great anti-aging ingredient.
Ferulic Acid as Booster
Not only does ferulic acid prevent environmental stressors from harming the skin, it’s known for its ability to stabilize vitamins C and E to help them perform better. Think of it like holding a ladder for someone while they paint a ceiling. Sure, they could paint the ceiling if you didn’t hold the ladder but imagine how much better a job they would do if you did. That’s the kind of boost ferulic acid gives vitamins C and E.
For example, ferulic acid is thought to help boost the ability of both vitamin C and E to fight against the harmful effects of environmental stressors, a super-important fact if you’re someone who spends a lot of time outdoors!
Ferulic Acid for Skin: 8 Benefits
As both a protector and booster, ferulic acid has many benefits for skin (some people even feel there are overall health benefits to taking ferulic acid as a supplement).
- Ferulic acid calms the skin. As an antioxidant, ferulic acid has a gentle effect on the skin, allowing it to stay at its most stable.
- Ferulic acid visibly plumps the look of beautiful skin. Ferulic acid will help firm and tighten your look.
- Ferulic acid helps skin tone stay even. Ferulic acid can help minimize the appearance of dark spots and temporary redness to promote healthy looking skin.
- Ferulic acid can help boost vitamin C and E. Ferulic acid is known for its ability to enhance the effects of vitamins found in skincare like vitamin C and E, helping to stabilize them so they leave skin appearing luminous.
- Ferulic acid helps protect skin. Infusing your skin with protective botanicals, ferulic acid provides powerful antioxidant activity to help promote beautiful skin.
- Ferulic acid visibly plumps fine lines temporarily. By protecting the skin from environmental stressors, ferulic acid keeps skin looking its youngest.
- Ferulic acid helps stop environmental stressors that clog pores. By stopping environmental stressors from reaching the skin to begin with, ferulic acid helps keep pores from getting clogged to begin with.
- Ferulic acid fights aging. Because ferulic acid acts as something of a barrier between your skin and the world, it helps reduce the visibility of aging.
How to Use Ferulic Acid for Skin
Although ferulic acid is known mainly for two things, there are many ways and reasons to use ferulic acid. Here’s how to use ferulic acid for the skin:
- Clean your skin. Every good daily skin care routine starts with making sure your skin is clean so use a gentle cleanser that’s good for every skin type.
- Use toner. Spritz a little spritz of toner on to control excess oil and hydrate the skin.
- Apply serum. It’s a step a lot of people skip (mostly because they’re not sure what serum does), but serum is the easiest way to brighten your skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Our Nectar of the C Vitamin C Serum contains ferulic acid and will leave your skin glowing with radiance!
- Hydrate the skin. Part of any good skin care routine, regardless of what skin type it’s for, is moisturizing! A good, lightweight moisturizer should reduce the appearance of fine lines and even skin tone.
- Use eye cream! You’ve put together a perfect skin care routine--don’t ruin it now by forgetting to use eye cream! And yes, you really do need it, no matter what your age as the skin around the eyes is incredibly delicate and prone to fine lines and wrinkles!
- Treat yourself to a mask. A daily skin care routine is critical to keeping skin healthy, but it’s still a good idea to really get out all the impurities that cleanser can’t reach with a detoxifying mask. If only we knew a really, really great one. Hmmm...
What Types of Skin Should Use Ferulic Acid
- Ferulic acid for aging skin – By protecting aging skin from environmental stressors, ferulic acid helps prolong a more youthful appearance as it nurtures the skin.
- Ferulic acid for skin in its 20s and 30s – So much of what ferulic acid does has to do with prevention and making sure skin suffers as little damage from outside influences as possible. That’s what makes it great for people in their 20s and 30s.
- Ferulic acid for skin that’s outdoors a lot – As a booster to vitamins C and E, ferulic acid helps strengthen their ability to protect the skin from outside elements, making it an essential part of skincare for skin that’s often exposed to the elements, especially sun.
- Ferulic acid for skin that’s uneven – Ferulic acid is an antioxidant, so by preventing environmental stressors from reaching the skin to begin with, ferulic acid helps create the appearance of a more even skin tone.
- Ferulic acid for oily skin – Oily skin is extremely susceptible to clogged pores. The antioxidant powers of ferulic acid help keep those pores from getting clogged in the first place.
- Ferulic for dull skin – Damaged skin tends to be dull and lifeless so by preventing skin from elements that might damage it, ferulic acid helps reduce the appearance of dullness.
- Ferulic acid for people who want to use natural skincare – As it’s derived from plants, ferulic acid is a great alternative to chemical- and artificial fragrance-filled skincare products.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ferulic Acid
Is ferulic acid safe to use on my skin?
As with any product, we always recommend testing in a small area first, but generally speaking, ferulic acid is not only safe for your skin but good for it!
What is ferulic acid?
Part of the hydroxycinnamic acid group, ferulic acid is an antioxidant. Found in fruits, grains, vegetables, and certain grasses, this plant-based, natural acid helps prevent environmental stressors from harming the skin.
What is the relationship between ferulic acid and vitamin C?
Ferulic acid acts as a booster to both vitamin C and E, stabilizing it so it’s even more effective in fighting skin damage. In addition to maximizing its effectiveness, ferulic acid also contains vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E.
Ferulic acid and pregnancy
Many women find that all the hormonal changes of pregnancy cause their skin to go absolutely bonkers (not an official term). Skin that is usually near perfect is suddenly rough and difficult to manage, sending many women on the hunt for something that will help.
Thankfully, ferulic acid is a safe, natural ingredient that can be used by pregnant women. While it can’t change the effect hormones have on the skin, as an antioxidant, it will help deflect many of the environmental stressors that wreak havoc on the skin.
Although we always recommend consulting with your doctor on issues of skincare and pregnancy.
Can ferulic acid repair damaged skin?
Any time you help protect your skin, you’re helping keep it at its best, but that said, ferulic acid is more of a preventive ingredient than an ingredient meant to repair damage.
That’s the 411 on ferulic acid, the superhero of skincare ingredients. If you’re concerned about preventing damage to your skin, it’s definitely something you should incorporate into your skin care routine. Just don’t blame us if you suddenly feel the urge to wear a headband and carry around a golden lasso!
Fleur & Bee: Know Who You’re Buying From
At Fleur & Bee, we’re a small, close-knit team that makes natural skin care that's good for you, good for your wallet, and good for the planet.
Our clean skin care products are packed with carefully selected botanical ingredients that are time-tested and proven to work gently. Our collection is 100% vegan and cruelty-free and are free of nasties like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, silicones, and artificial fragrances. Oh and everything is under $30!
We’re also a sustainable skin care brand. Our products are crafted with sustainably sourced ingredients and are made with 100% renewable wind energy, and our packaging is up to 90% recyclable!
If we sound like your kind of clean skin care brand, check out our product lineup! Also, stay tuned to our blog for tips on easy, affordable, good-for-you skin care choices and ways to get your glow on!