Shampoo and conditioner. Manis and pedis. A hot bath and a glass of wine. Some things are just meant to go together and that’s especially true when it comes to great skin care. For example, retinol and niacinamide. That’s why, in this article, we’ll be discussing the benefits of both retinol and niacinamide, how you can use both ingredients together, and most importantly– the best products that use retinol and niacinamide together.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: Retinol and niacinamide are two highly effective skin care ingredients that can easily be used at the same time.
Good to Know: Niacinamide is thought to not only improve the efficacy of retinol, but to help the skin tolerate its strong effects.
Benefits of Retinol
Retinol is a highly effective and well-researched skincare ingredient that can be found in a variety of skin care products, both in prescription and over-the-counter form. For many, this power ingredient is a serious game changer. Here are just a few benefits of retinol when used on its own:
- Retinol protects the skin - Retinoids are a very potent form of antioxidant vitamin A. This means it works overtime to help defend your skin against environmental stressors that cause damage to your skin.
- Retinol increases cell turnover - When cell turnover is increased, new, healthy skin replaces older, duller skin, resulting in smoother, brighter and glowing skin.
- Retinol improves skin texture - Because your older surface skin cells are being replaced by new cells, the overall texture of your skin will improve with regular use of retinol.
- Retinol encourages collagen production - Collagen occurs naturally in our skin, keeping it looking youthful and feeling firm. However, it decreases as we age.
- Retinol helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles - Not only does increased collagen production help firm the skin, it also helps diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Benefits of Niacinamide
Now that you know about some of the benefits of retinol, let’s discuss what niacinamide does for your skin. Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3; here are just a few of its benefits:
- Niacinamide is an antioxidant - Yup, just like retinol, niacinamide is a powerful antioxidant that will help protect your skin from environmental stressors.
- Niacinamide helps balance skin’s natural oils - When your skin’s oils aren’t balanced, those with oily or combination are more vulnerable to clogged pores and breakouts. This vitamin helps to keep the overproduction of oil in check.
- Niacinamide helps reduce the appearance of dark spots - Niacinamide works to target hyperpigmentation in the skin, effectively reducing the look of dark spots and uneven skin tone.
- Niacinamide helps calm the skin - Its calming properties work to visibly reduce temporary redness in the skin.
- Niacinamide helps moisturizers work more effectively - Niacinamide helps your skin retain moisture, rendering your moisturizer is even more effective.
Can You Use Retinol and Niacinamide Together?
The short answer is yes. In fact, niacinamide is thought to not only improve the efficacy of retinol, but to help the skin tolerate its strong effects. Using them together in your skincare routine will have many positive benefits for your skin health.
How To Use Retinol and Niacinamide Together
The easiest way to use these two powerhouse skincare ingredients together is to find a product that combines the two. As skin needs time to adjust to highly active retinol, niacinamide helps your skin with this adjustment period.
No matter how you decide to use these two together, remember to always finish your routine with SPF during the day, as retinol’s ability to turnover skin cells leaves the skin even more vulnerable to sun damage. Frankly, this should be a part of your daily skin routine no matter what, but it’s especially important when using retinol.
Best Products That Use Retinol and Niacinamide Together
Now that you’re in the know when it comes to using retinol and niacinamide together, let’s chat about some of our favorite products that combine the two.
Using .1% retinol, our ‘A’ Game retinol serum is the perfect introduction to this highly effective ingredient. We’ve paired it with super-calming ingredients like green tea, jojoba oil and dandelion. And of course, our formula includes niacinamide to help protect and balance your skin. A heavy hitter in the anti-aging category, it does everything from firming the skin, to reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, to getting to work on dark spots and uneven skin texture. Use ‘A’ Game after cleansing and toner, and before moisturizing.
Tailor-made for the novice retinol user, Youth Fairy combines 0.03% retinol with anti-aging botanicals such as plant stem cells, organic evening primrose oil, and squalane. It also contains niacinamide, rendering the formula ideal for retinol newbies. Together, these ingredients nourish, firm and reveal younger looking skin like nobody’s business. Use it as the last step in your skin care routine, along with eye cream.
We’ve bundled both of our retinol products together in our Anti-Aging Duo, so you can use them together for maximum results and save a few bucks while you’re at it.
Ready to incorporate niacinamide and retinol together in your regimen? As you can see, there are many benefits to both these powerhouse ingredients, and there’s almost no reason not to use them on your skin.