Wrinkles are simply a sign of life experience and a life well-lived. They’re as beautiful as they are natural. However, if you’d like to look as young as you feel, there are ways to help visibility reduce their appearance.
Although it happens little by little, any number of factors can cause face wrinkles. In this blog post, we’ll talk about how face wrinkles happen and discuss some tips on how to lessen the look of wrinkles on your face.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: Genetics, age, skin type, and sun exposure all play a role in causing wrinkles. Luckily, with the right routine, you can help to minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Good to Know: If you have dry skin, you’re more likely to develop wrinkles.
How Do Face Wrinkles Happen?
There are many reasons why face wrinkles occur. Here, we discuss a number of ways those sneaky little lines come to be:
- Sun exposure - Nothing will cause wrinkles faster than a lot of sun exposure, especially if you have light or delicate skin. To be clear, the sun can cause wrinkles and spots on anyone’s skin, no matter what color or type. UV rays are literally beams of radiation from the sun that cause burns and aging of the skin.
- Dehydration - Hydration is an enormous part of what helps plumps and soften the skin. When you let your skin--or even your body--become dehydrated, your skin loses that plump, healthy look and is much more likely to develop fine lines and wrinkles.
- Environment - People who live in dry climates or places where the altitude is high can attest that your environment can really contribute to face wrinkles. Between the strong sun and arid air, moisture just doesn’t get to the skin as easily. The same goes for living in a place with a lot of pollution as free radicals in the air can damage the skin, also causing wrinkles.
- Lifestyle/stress - If you make a habit of partying a little too much, getting too little sleep, or just generally neglecting your health, you may notice an increase in wrinkles. However, just as playing a bit too much can cause wrinkles, so can working too much. Stress, of any kind, can easily cause wrinkles.
- Genetics - Genetics play a big part in whether or not you can expect to get a lot of wrinkles. Just take a look at your parents and grandparents’ skin, and you’ll find out whether or not your skin is more prone to developing fine lines.
- Age - As with genetics, there’s nothing we can do about this one. The more trips we make around the sun, the more likely we are to develop a few lines here and there. This is because as we age, we produce much less collagen, elastin and other elements in our skin that keep it looking young.
- Smoking - Aside from being incredibly detrimental to your health overall, smoking harms your skin by breaking down the collagen and elastin in your skin. It’s a habit that all but ensures premature aging.
- Diet - You are what you eat. A diet high in sugar, trans fats, and carbs can cause damage to skin’s collagen, which, in turn, leads to more wrinkles.
- Skin type - If your skin is on the dry side, you’re probably more likely to develop wrinkles and fine lines.
Tips To Visibly Reduce Face Wrinkles
Although we clearly have no control over some factors that cause face wrinkles, we can be proactive about others. Here are some simple, easy tips to visibly reduce face wrinkles:
Your recommended daily water intake is eight, eight-ounce glasses of water each day. Proper hydration remains one of the best ways to keep your skin hydrated and keep your wrinkles from becoming visible.
As we said above, almost nothing will dry out your skin and encourage face wrinkles like smoking.
Use Eye Cream (and Wear Sunglasses)
The skin around the eyes produces very little oil, making it even more prone to fine lines and wrinkles. Protect it with a good anti-aging eye cream like Eyes Eyes Baby; it not only moisturizes and hydrates the eye area but softens the appearance of wrinkles. And definitely wear sunglasses with good UV protection.
Always wear sunscreen, period. Make sure you use at least SPF 30 sunscreen and reapply every few hours.
Hydrate Your Skin
Proper hydration also applies to your skin from the outside. Using products that deeply hydrate will plump your skin, helping to both reduce the appearance of wrinkles and prevent them. Our award-winning Just Dew It hydrating serum features hyaluronic acid and prickly pear seed oil to provide all-day hydration. Follow it up and seal it all in with H2 Oh Yeah hydrating moisturizer.
One of the most effective skincare ingredients out there is retinol, a derivative of the powerful antioxidant vitamin A. It works wonders on reducing the look of wrinkles, as it is known to encourage collagen production and increase cell turnover, effectively smoothing your skin like nothing else can. Youth Fairy retinol moisturizer and ‘A’ Game retinol serum are perfect for those new to using retinol, as they are formulated to be gentle on the skin.
Not only does exfoliation allow new skin to shine through, it allows your serums and moisturizers to be more effective.
Clean Up Your Diet
There’s no better skin care than the kind Mother Nature can provide, so take advantage of it and fill your diet with antioxidant-rich foods like berries and dark leafy greens.
Research has shown that stress can cause the body’s cortisol levels to go up which, in turn, causes collagen to break down. Just taking half an hour or even a few minutes each day to reset mentally can help bring down stress levels.
We hope this sheds a little light on how face wrinkles happen and how you can keep them at bay. With just a few easy lifestyle changes and a little extra attention to your skin, you can keep it smooth and looking as young as you feel.