Whenever two great ingredients start becoming popular, there is almost always debate about whether they can be used together. So, it’s no shock that there is some discussion about whether vitamin C and niacinamide can be used in tandem. That’s why, in this article, we’ll talk about what these two highly effective ingredients do, and get to the root of the debate about whether or not they can be used together.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: In the past, there has been some debate about whether vitamin C and niacinamide can be used together. However, there is no reason the two can’t be used simultaneously.
Good to Know: Vitamin C and niacinamide work so well together that they can frequently be found in the same products.
Benefits of Vitamin C
Although you might think of vitamin C as being something we get from oranges, this amazing antioxidant is a true powerhouse skin care ingredient. Let’s talk about some of the great benefits of vitamin C for the skin.
- It makes your skin glow.
- It protects skin from environmental stressors with its antioxidant powers.
- It can help even skin tone.
- It can help reduce the looks of dark spots.
- It has cleansing properties.
- It’s a great anti-aging ingredient, thanks to its ability to help firm and tighten the skin.
- It helps smooth the skin with its exfoliating properties.
Benefits of Niacinamide
Niacinamide, also known as vitamin B3, is another serious powerhouse skincare ingredient. It is usually found in veggies like mushrooms and green peas and fish like salmon. Here are some benefits of using it in your skincare:
- It protects the skin from environmental stressors.
- It helps moisturizers work more effectively by helping skin resist moisture loss so moisturizers work at their optimum levels.
- It helps balance skin’s natural oils.
- It helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, thanks to the winning combination of antioxidants and the ability to retain moisture.
- It has a calming effect on the skin.
- It helps lighten the look of dark spots.
- It helps brighten the skin, as it has gentle exfoliating properties.
Can You Use Vitamin C and Niacinamide Together?
As with many powerful, effective ingredients, there is some debate about whether these two can be used together. There was once a school of thought that said when combined, the two would form niacin– which can be irritating to the skin. However, this would have to be under very hot circumstances, with temps that aren’t really applicable to everyday skincare. Unless you have incredibly sensitive skin, combining the two ingredients poses no issues.
In fact, the two work very well together– but it’s always best to know how, exactly, to use them at the same time.
One great way to do that is to use a product that contains them both. For example, our Nectar of the C vitamin C serum contains both vitamin C and niacinamide. With a 10% concentration of vitamin C combined with niacinamide, it works beautifully to restore skin’s natural glow and reduce the appearance of dark spots and fine lines.
Another one of our products that uses both vitamin C and niacinamide is our Crème de la Cream brightening moisturizer. While the vitamin C helps even and brighten skin tone, the niacinamide helps skin resist moisture loss.
If you don’t use both ingredients in the same product, you can always layer them on your skin by using the vitamin C product first. If you’re still concerned about using vitamin C and niacinamide together, simply alternate the days you apply them.
We hope that helps solve the debate about whether vitamin C and niacinamide can be used together. We highly recommend it, in fact!