Glowing skin is what’s on everyone’s wish list right now. You may think you need the latest Instagram filter to get it, but that’s just not true. There are things you can do (and not do!) in order to make your skin go from “Meh” to “Meh-gnificent!”
We’ve got the deets on what causes dull skin and how to make your skin glow. Trust us, it’s easier than you think to get that ultimate skin glow.
What causes dull skin?
In order to solve a problem, you’ve got to know what’s causing it. You can’t get glowing skin without first tackling dull skin.
There are many reasons your skin could be looking dull and less than fresh:
- Uneven skin tone
- Dry skin
- Excess dirt and oil
- Lack of sleep
- Sun damage
What makes your skin glow?
The good news is that dull skin doesn’t have to be permanent, and there are lifestyle choices you can make to brighten the look of your skin. Some of them will not only lead to healthier skin, but a healthier you as well!
- Drinking water - This one may be obvious, but most of us still aren’t drinking enough water! Water keeps you and your skin hydrated and flushes toxins from your system. An adult needs about eight 8 oz. glasses of water each day to stay hydrated.
- Eating right - Eating foods rich in antioxidants can seriously help improve your skin. Antioxidants help protect your skin from environmental stressors that cause damage. Foods like blueberries, spinach, kale, raspberries, and dark chocolate (yum!) are all full of antioxidants.
- Reducing sun exposure - The sun can cause major damage to your skin if you don’t protect it. If you’re out in the sun wear a hat and sunscreen, and try to stay in the shade as much as possible.
- Getting Sleep - As tempting as it is to stay up late bingeing Netflix, an irregular sleep schedule can wreak havoc on your skin making it look dull and bleh. You should try to get 7-9 hours of sleep each night, and go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday, even on weekends. It will seriously make a difference.
- Meditation - Stress can be a big reason your skin looks a little “womp, womp”. Adding a daily meditation to your morning or nightly ritual can help lower your stress levels.
How to make your skin glow and brighten dull skin
Lifestyle choices aren’t the only things that can brighten dull skin. The right skin care routine can make the ultimate difference in getting that gorgeous glow. Here’s our tips for the ultimate skin glow skin care routine.
First, let’s start with a basic routine that we think everyone should follow:
- Cleanser - Excess dirt and oil are two major causes of dull skin. You want to be sure to wash your face in the morning and at night, and pick a cleanser that’s right for your skin type.
- Toner - This is a step that’s often overlooked, but a gentle toner that doesn’t contain alcohol can help to cleanse your skin, temporarily reduce the appearance of pores, and hydrate your skin; all of which will brighten your complexion. Toners are especially beneficial for people with oily or combination skin as they help to balance natural oils, so you can get the glow without the shine.
- Vitamin C Serum - Vitamin C is one of the best ingredients for evening skin tone and reducing the look of dark spots. Daily use will keep your skin refreshed and glowing.
- Face Moisturizer - Dry skin is no one’s friend. A daily moisturizer is key to keeping your skin hydrated and healthy - even if you have oily skin!
- Eye Cream - An eye cream isn’t just for your mom and grandma. The skin around your eyes is the first to show signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots which can make your complexion look dull. A good eye cream can help minimize the look of these common signs of aging and get your eyes glowing!
- Sunscreen - Be sure to wear a facial sunscreen everyday (at least SPF 30), even if it’s cloudy. Sun exposure can lead to dry skin, wrinkles, and dark spots.
At Fleur & Bee, we’ve curated a simple skin care routine that encompasses most of these steps. Our routine includes our So Clean! Cleanser, Rose and Shine Rose Water Toner, Nectar of the C Vitamin C Serum, Crème de la Cream Face Cream , and our Eyes Eyes Baby Eye Cream.
There are some other extras you can definitely add into your skin care ritual for the ultimate skin glow.
Exfoliators - Exfoliators are super beneficial for improving your skin’s texture. They can help to cleanse excess dirt and oil, and slough off dead skin. Just be sure to only exfoliate 1-3 times per week. Over-exfoliating can strip your skin of it’s natural oils leading to drier skin, making the problem of dull skin worse, not better. A great natural option is Fresh’s Sugar Face Polish
Masks - There are face masks for everything from detoxing to moisturizing to calming, so you want to choose the best one for you. If you have dry skin, try a hydrating mask. If you have oily skin, go for a cleansing mask like Fleur & Bee’s Prince Charcoal Mask. A mask can also be part of a de-stress ritual after a meditation or yoga practice.
Face Oils - A face oil is different from a facial serum in that it’s primary function is to moisturize your skin. They also differ from normal moisturizers or creams in that they don’t contain water, rather they’re made from oils that mimic those naturally produced by your skin. If you have oily skin, you may want to skip out on face oils, but if you have dry skin this may be the thing for you! One of our favorites is Botanics Organic Facial Oil.
Bonus Tip: One thing that may be making your skin looking dull is the foundation you’re using. Matte, heavy, and powder foundations can make your face look flat. We suggest using a tinted moisturizer like Hourglasses Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint.
Best ingredients for glowing skin
Now that you know the products you need for glowing skin, let’s talk about which ingredients should be in your skincare products.
Since dry skin is one of the most common causes of dull skin, you first want to look for natural hydrating ingredients like:
- Jojoba Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide)
You also want to make sure you get ingredients that can address uneven skin tone and texture including:
- Rose Water
- Tea Tree Oil
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Green Tea
There are also ingredients you want to be sure to avoid as they can make your skin issues worse, like:
- Artificial fragrances and dyes
- High concentrations of alcohol
- Propylene glycols
The bottom line is: getting glowing skin is totally attainable! It’s all about making the right lifestyle choices and sticking with a skin care regimen that works for you.
Fleur & Bee: Know Who You’re Buying From
At Fleur & Bee, we’re a small, close-knit team that makes natural skin care that's good for you, good for your wallet, and good for the planet.
Our clean skin care products are packed with carefully selected botanical ingredients that are time-tested and proven to work gently. Our collection is 100% vegan and cruelty-free and are free of nasties like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, silicones, and artificial fragrances. Oh and everything is under $30!
We’re also a sustainable skin care brand. Our products are crafted with sustainably sourced ingredients and are made with 100% renewable wind energy, and our packaging is up to 90% recyclable!
If we sound like your kind of clean skin care brand, check out our product lineup! Also, stay tuned to our blog for tips on easy, affordable, good-for-you skin care choices and ways to get your glow on!