Glowing skin is on everyone’s wish list right now. You may think you need the latest Instagram filter to get it, but that’s just not true. There are things you can do (and not do!) in order to make your skin go from “meh” to “magnificent!”
We’ve got the deets on what causes dull skin and how to make your skin glow. Trust us, it’s easier than you think to get that ultimate skin glow.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: The major causes of dull skin are uneven skin tone, dry skin, dehydration, sun exposure, lack of sleep, and stress. In addition to a good skin care routine, you want to make sure to drink enough water, get plenty of sleep, avoid excessive sun exposure, and take time for yourself to relax.
Good to Know: Eating food rich in antioxidants like blueberries, spinach, and cacao can help protect your skin from environmental stressors that cause damage and dullness.
What Causes Dull Skin?
In order to solve a problem, you need to know what’s causing it. You can’t get glowing skin without first tackling dull skin.
There are many reasons your skin could be looking dull and less than fresh:
- Uneven skin tone
- Dry skin
- Excess dirt and oil
- Lack of sleep
- Sun damage
What Makes Your Skin Glow?
The good news is that dull skin doesn’t have to be permanent, and there are lifestyle choices you can make to brighten the look of your skin. Some of them will not only lead to healthier skin, but a healthier you as well!
- Drinking water - This one may be obvious, but most of us still aren’t drinking enough water! Water keeps you and your skin hydrated and flushes toxins from your system. An adult needs about eight 8 oz. glasses of water each day to stay hydrated.
- Eating right - Eating foods rich in antioxidants help protect your skin from environmental stressors that cause damage. Foods like blueberries, spinach, kale, raspberries, and cacao are all full of antioxidants and quite delectable!
How To Make Your Skin Glow and Brighten Dull Skin
Lifestyle choices aren’t the only things that can brighten dull skin. The right skincare routine can make the ultimate difference in getting that gorgeous glow. Here’s our tips for the ultimate glow skincare routine.
First, let’s start with a basic routine that pretty much everyone should follow:
- Cleanser - Excess dirt and oil are two major causes of dull skin. Wash your face in the morning and at night, and choose a cleanser that’s right for your skin type.
- Toner - This is a step that’s often overlooked, but a gentle toner that doesn’t contain alcohol can help to refresh, balance, and hydrate your skin – all of which will help brighten your complexion. Toners are especially beneficial for people with oily or combination skin, as they help to balance natural oils, so you can get the glow without the shine.
- Vitamin C Serum - Vitamin C is one of the best ingredients for reducing the look of dark spots, resulting in brighter skin. Daily use will keep your skin refreshed and glowing.
- Face Moisturizer - Dry skin is no one’s friend. A daily moisturizer is key to keeping your skin hydrated and healthy - even if you have oily skin!
- Eye Cream - The skin around your eyes is the first to show signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots which can make your complexion look dull. A good eye cream can help minimize the look of these common signs of aging and get your eyes glowing.
- Sunscreen - Be sure to wear a facial sunscreen everyday, with a minimum rating of SPF 30 – even if it’s cloudy. Sun exposure can lead to dry, dull skin, wrinkles, and dark spots.
At Fleur & Bee, we’ve curated a simple skin care routine that encompasses most of these steps. Our 5-step routine includes our So Clean! Facial Cleanser, Rose and Shine Rose Water Toner, Nectar of the C Vitamin C Serum, H2 Oh Yeah Hydrating Moisturizer, and our Eyes Eyes Baby Anti-Aging Eye Cream.
We put all of these products in one incredibly affordable Deluxe Set.
There are some other extras you can definitely add into your skin care ritual for the ultimate skin glow.
Exfoliators - Exfoliators are super beneficial for improving your skin’s texture. They can help to rid of excess dirt and oil, and slough off dead skin. Just be sure to only exfoliate 1-3 times per week. Over-exfoliating can strip your skin of its natural oils leading to drier skin, making the problem of dull skin worse, not better. A gentle liquid exfoliant option that works for most skin types is Farmacy Deep Sweep 2% BHA Toner.
Masks - There are face masks for everything from detoxing to moisturizing to calming, so choose the best one for you. Whether you have dry, oil or normal skin, a detoxifying mask like Fleur & Bee’s Prince Charcoal Mask will help your skin rid of dead surface skin cells and reveal smoother, softer skin. Masking is a simple way to create some relaxing “me-time” for yourself.
Face Oils - A face oil differs from a facial serum in that it’s primary function is to moisturize your skin. They also differ from normal moisturizers or creams in that they don’t contain water; rather they’re made from oils that mimic those naturally produced by your skin. If you have excessively oily skin, you may want to skip out on face oils; but if you have dry skin this may be the thing for you! One of our favorites is Botanics Organic Facial Oil.
Bonus Tip: One thing that may be making your skin look dull is the foundation you’re using. Matte, heavy, and powder foundations can make your face look flat. We suggest using a tinted serum like ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40. Not only does it hydrate your skin with hyaluronic acid, leaving it bright and dewy, this tinted serum also protects your skin with a mineral sunscreen.
Best Ingredients for Glowing Skin
Now that you know the products you need for glowing skin, let’s talk about which ingredients should be in your skincare products.
Since dry skin is one of the most common causes of dull skin, you first want to look for natural hydrating ingredients like:
- Jojoba Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide)
You also want to make sure you get ingredients that can address uneven skin tone and texture including:
- Rose Water
- Tea Tree Oil
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Green Tea
There are also ingredients you want to be sure to avoid as they can make your skin issues worse, like:
- Artificial fragrances and dyes
- High concentrations of alcohol
- Propylene glycols
The bottom line is: getting glowing skin is totally attainable! It’s all about making the right lifestyle choices and sticking with a skin care regimen that works for you.
Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.