Ah, vitamin C, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways! Like, literally, count the ways because there are a lot of them! If you’re not already a devotee of this glorious ingredient, let us enlighten you! While you’re probably familiar with vitamin C as a nutrient found in oranges and grapefruits, you may not be familiar with everything vitamin C does for skin. From brightening the skin to protecting it from environmental stressors, vitamin C performs a multitude of functions and is especially effective when used as a serum. That’s why, in this article, we’ll discuss what a vitamin C serum is, its benefits, and how to incorporate it into your skincare routine.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: Different serums are meant to perform different functions depending on what they contain. For example, a vitamin C serum might be meant to help brighten the skin.
Good to Know: Although it’s primarily known for its ability to brighten the skin, vitamin C performs a multitude of tasks from protecting the skin to hydrating it.
Recommended Products: Nectar of the C Vitamin C Serum.
What Is A Vitamin C Serum?
As you may or may not know, serums are products that are targeted to do a specific job. Unlike, say, moisturizers which are meant primarily to hydrate the skin, or exfoliants which are meant to revitalize the skin, serums do a lot of different jobs. Some serums brighten the skin, some serums hydrate it, others work to reduce dark spots, while others work to smooth skin’s texture. The ingredients that are included in that serum depend on what that serum’s job is.
For example, if a serum’s job is to exfoliate, it might have salicylic acid in it. Similarly, if a serum’s job is to brighten the skin, it will probably have vitamin C in it since that’s one of vitamin C’s primary jobs. That said, that’s far from the only job a vitamin C serum has, which is why we’ll look at the benefits of a vitamin C serum below.
Benefits Of A Vitamin C Serum
When we said there were a lot of benefits to vitamin C, we weren’t kidding! Here are just a few of the benefits a vitamin C serum offers:
- Vitamin C serums brighten the skin - As we mentioned above, one of things for which vitamin C is the most well known, is its ability to help brighten the skin. If you have a dull or lifeless complexion, one of the best things you can use on it is a vitamin C serum like our Nectar of the C vitamin C serum. With a 10% vitamin C concentration, it gives skin back its glow.
- Vitamin C serum protects skin from the environmental stressors trying to harm it - Whether you know it or not, there are actually electrons out there looking to steal more electrons from your skin, damaging your skin in the process. But an antioxidant like vitamin C, however, can protect you from those environmental stressors, keeping your skin healthy and happy!
- Vitamin C serum smoothes the skin - Some of us suffer from skin that just feels rough and bumpy, especially in the winter months when the cold starts to really irritate it. The problem is finding something that smoothes it out without irritating it further. Vitamin C does just that--smoothes the skin without making a bad situation worse. If you find the texture of your skin isn’t quite what you’d like it to be, try a vitamin C serum!
- Vitamin C serum plumps the skin - As we get older, our skin has a tendency to become less plump, giving some of us a gaunt, unhealthy look. To counteract that, try a vitamin C serum. Vitamin C can help plump up your skin no matter what your age!
- Vitamin C serum can help reduce the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles - You know those lines hovering around your eyes and maybe over your lips? Try putting a little vitamin C serum in those areas (being careful around the eyes, of course), and we’ll bet you see a big difference, as vitamin C is known for its ability to reduce the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles. In addition to massaging serum into your skin, you can also put a little vitamin C serum on a cotton ball and press it into those areas to really make sure it absorbs into the skin.
- Vitamin C serum exfoliates the skin - Most people have no clue that vitamin C acts as an exfoliant but it does! By exfoliating the skin it not only helps restore the skin’s glow, it helps prepare the skin for whatever you’re putting on after it--moisturizer, make-up, etc.
- Vitamin C serum cleans the skin - Vitamin C’s exfoliating properties help keep skin free and clear of dirt and oil. Although you can’t necessarily use a vitamin C serum alone to cleanse the skin, using it in serum form definitely helps give skin that extra cleanse it needs to stay healthy and bright.
- Vitamin C serum hydrates the skin - While we wouldn’t go as far as to say that vitamin C is a moisturizer in and of itself, it does have properties that hydrate the skin and help skin retain moisture.
- Vitamin C serum helps reduce the appearance of dark spots - If you have dark spots you probably know it takes some effort to reduce their appearance. Over time a vitamin C serum will help make that happen!
- Vitamin C serum helps tighten the skin - When we get older, our skin starts to lose its ability to bounce back and starts to sag. Vitamin C will help tighten and firm your look!
How to Use Vitamin C Serum
Remember that while vitamin C serum does all these great things, it’s not a replacement for your other skin care products. The idea is to use a vitamin C serum along with your other great skin care products. Here’s an easy How to Use Vitamin C Serum guide!
First, start with a clean face. Not surprisingly, we recommend our So Clean! natural facial cleanser which will thoroughly clean your skin without drying it. Not only that, it’ll help balance your oils as it does!
Next, use a gentle toner to add moisture to the skin. Our Rose and Shine rosewater toner hydrates the skin while minimizing the look of pores. A few spritzes will be just fine, although you can always take your bottle with you and give yourself a few little extra spritzes from time to time!
This next step is where you’ll use your serum! You only need a couple of drops of our Nectar of the C serum to do the job and over time, we think you’ll see your skin really start to brighten! In addition to the 10% concentration of vitamin C, it also contains vitamin E to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and ferulic acid which is an antioxidant that works especially well with vitamin C and E.
Finally, finish off your routine with a natural moisturizer like our Crème de la Cream natural moisturizer which also contains vitamin C. Delivering the perfect amount of moisture, it visibly reduces fine lines and wrinkles and, like our vitamin C serum, also works to brighten the skin and even out skin tone.
And while you’re at it, don’t forget to include an eye cream like our Eyes Eyes Baby natural anti-aging eye cream which will get to work on those bags and puffiness!
So that’s pretty much what you need to know about vitamin C serums! We hope it’s convinced you what an amazingly effective and versatile ingredient vitamin C really is and why it’s so effective when used in serum form!