If you’ve ever seen a picture of a reishi mushroom, you know how extraordinary it is. Like a slab of amber, its golden brown color and almost dish-like shape make it one of the world’s more incredible fungi, but what you may not know is that reishi mushroom extract is absolutely fantastic for the skin. For that reason, in this article, we’ll talk about what is reishi mushroom extract, reishi mushroom extract skin benefits, and how to use reishi mushroom extract. By the time we’re finished, we think you’ll appreciate this unique mushroom for both its inner and outer beauty.
IN A NUTSHELL
Ingredient Category: Antioxidant
Main Benefit: Reishi mushroom extract is a powerful anti-aging ingredient that does everything from helping to restore skin’s natural glow, to protecting the skin from environmental elements trying to harm it.
Find It In: Prince Charcoal Detox Mask.
What is Reishi Mushroom Extract?
As we mentioned above, reishi mushrooms are notable in part for their extraordinary look. Almost resembling a beautiful piece of wood, reishi mushrooms have been used for literally thousands of years for their healing properties. Known as the “mushroom of immortality,” reishi mushrooms are thought to have some incredible anti-aging properties, among other benefits.
Reishi mushrooms can be eaten, although you really need to know what you’re doing as the taste is rather earthy. If you’re not a great cook, we recommend leaving that to someone else!
Reishi Mushroom Extract Skin Benefits
- Reishi mushroom extract protects the skin - Reishi mushrooms contain antioxidants that help protect the skin from environmental stressors that try to harm it.
- Reishi mushrooms hydrate the skin - Reishi mushrooms contain something called beta-glucans –- and while that might sound like a species from “Star Trek,” it is, in fact, something that helps the skin attract water and keep it there, making reishi mushrooms a great hydrating ingredient.
- Reishi mushrooms help restore skin’s elasticity - As we age, our skin doesn’t bounce back the way it used to, meaning that we lose elasticity. Reishi mushroom extract helps restore some of the elasticity we lose as we age.
- Reishi mushrooms help firm and tighten your look - Not only does reishi mushroom help skin bounce back, but it helps make it firmer, so your skin looks younger and healthier.
- Reishi mushroom extract helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles - Reishi mushrooms contain polysaccharides which help hydrate the skin, which in turn helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reishi mushrooms help reduce the appearance of dark spots - For some of us, dark spots are the bane of our existence, which is why it’s so exciting when an ingredient actually helps lessen their appearance.
- Reishi mushrooms lessen the appearance of temporary redness - Like dark spots, redness can really drive those of us who experience it a little crazy. Thankfully, ingredients like reishi mushrooms can help lessen the appearance of redness.
- Reishi mushrooms are brilliant anti-aging ingredients - Between restoring skin’s glow, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and calming the skin, reishi mushrooms are an incredible anti-aging ingredient. While they can’t literally turn back the hands of time, they certainly help make your skin look as if it’s found a way!
How to Use Reishi Mushroom Extract
Incorporating Reishi mushroom extract into your skincare routine is actually very easy. Read on to find out how!
Cleanse the Skin
Beauty trends may come and go, but nothing will change the fact that the basis of great skin is the proper cleansing. That said, you don’t have to scrub your skin to a pulp to get it super clean. A gentle, non-drying cleanser like our So Clean! facial cleanser is the perfect way to get a great, thorough cleanse without being too rough on the skin.
Tone the Skin
Given that all it takes to tone the skin is a couple of quick spritzes, we don’t understand why you wouldn’t do it! Our Rose and Shine rosewater toner not only hydrates the skin, it helps restore a healthy, dewy look. Not only that, it smells great, too!
Use a Detox Mask
It’s amazing just how filthy our skin can get just by living our daily lives. Between make up, pollution, perspiration, junk food, and all kinds of other factors, our pores are subject to a lot of buildup which, for most of us, means irritation and breakouts. That’s why it’s a good idea to use a detox mask every now and then. Our Prince Charcoal detox mask is brilliant at drawing impurities out of the skin. Among its many nourishing actives are bentonite clay, aloe vera, and yes, reishi mushrooms!
When your skin is feeling and looking a bit dull, a serum like our Nectar of the C vitamin C serum is the perfect way to restore skin’s radiance. Like reishi mushrooms, it also helps reduce the appearance of dark spots and wrinkles using the power of antioxidants, giving your skin an anti-aging double whammy.
Moisturize the Skin
If you’re seeking out ingredients like reishi mushrooms to help restore skin’s radiance, you would be hard pressed to do better than our Crème de la Cream brightening moisturizer. Full of 20 nourishing actives like hyaluronic acid to hydrate and jojoba oil to help slow the signs of aging, it works overtime to make sure your skin looks its most vibrant and healthy.
Use Eye Cream
We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again–even if you’re still young, the time to begin using eye cream is now. The skin around your eyes is thinner than the skin on the rest of your face and produces less oil than the rest of your face does, which means it can age much faster than the rest of your skin, producing fine lines and wrinkles, age spots, and a general look of dryness. For those reasons, you need to use an eye cream every day, twice a day. Our Eyes Eyes Baby anti-aging eye cream not only gets to work on wrinkles, it also helps with reducing puffiness and dark circles.
We hope this inspires you to incorporate a little reishi mushroom extract in your skincare routine. It’s a true must for anyone suffering from the effects of aging on their skin!