We love experimenting with innovative beauty and skincare products, but often we have to ask ourselves "do I really need this?" We get that!
We're not here to tell you that you have to use a crushed amethyst body scrub every day (although we wouldn't knock you for trying one, either!), but there are some products we do think people truly need. Case in point: eye cream. Is eye cream necessary? We certainly think so, and we'll explain why below.
What Is Eye Cream?
In a nutshell, eye cream is a targeted moisturizer for your eye area. Eye creams are usually formulated to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, puffiness, dark circles, and bags. If you're thinking, "my face cream already does all that!" you're not alone. However, most facial moisturizers (and many serums) aren't designed or tested for the delicate skin under the eye.
That's because the skin that surrounds our eyes is much thinner than the rest of our face and body. That means it's more vulnerable to signs of aging, allergies, and irritants. It also has very few oil glands to keep it naturally moisturized, so dehydration happens faster than you can say panda eyes. To keep our peepers looking healthy and bright, we need a specialized cream to deliver the good stuff our skin craves.
What Does Eye Cream Do?
Eye creams pack a big punch into a little bottle, which is handy since they're not always cheap. Depending on the formulation, an eye cream can do everything from temporarily reducing the appearance of puffiness with caffeine (like our very own Eyes Eyes Baby does) to contributing to a plumper, firmer look. Here are a few more of the major benefits of eye cream:
It hydrates your skin.
There are tons of things that can dehydrate our skin, and that goes double for the area under our eyes. Harsh weather, pollution, UV rays, makeup, and more can sap the moisture right out. Eye cream delivers tailor-made hydration via nourishing ingredients and humectants that bind water to the skin. It'll have just the right concentrations so as not to dry that delicate skin out even further.
It can diminish the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Happy, hydrated skin tends to look plumper, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and expression lines. But many eye creams take things even further by using antioxidants to protect from damage and ingredients like peptides to help tighten your look. For an area that blinks, squints, and crinkles thousands of times a day, this is a must!
It can help brighten and even skin tone.
Add rejuvenating vitamins, buildup-banishing agents, and calming botanicals to nourished, moisturized skin and what do you get? A bright, even skin tone.
It can help soothe and protect.
The sensitive under eye area gets put through its paces on the daily. Whether you're laughing, swimming, or rubbing tired eyes, you're stressing that skin out. But don't let that stress you out! There are plenty of powerful, restorative ingredients that go into eye creams to protect, renew, and calm lackluster eyes.
Ingredients That Shine
You might be curious about eye creams because you're looking for anti-aging effects, a good preventative to keep skin looking young, or something to minimize the appearance of puffiness and dark circles. Well, the world is your oyster when it comes to eye creams! There are formulations designed for almost any skincare need. It all depends on the ingredients. Look out for:
- Caffeine — Your best friend if puffiness is your worst enemy. Caffeine gives sleepy skin a boost and lessens the appearance of dark circles and puffiness.
- Organic Aloe — A moisture magnet packed with vitamins (like A, B, C, D, and E) that forms a thin, protective layer on your skin to prevent water loss. It also can help remove buildup from the surface.
- Vegan Squalane — For dry skin types, squalane is a godsend. It mimics our natural sebum to hydrate and soothe skin.
- Jojoba — Squalane's BFF, jojoba also acts like sebum to add hydration and keep skin looking firm and plump.
- Vitamin C — Perfect for prevention, vitamin C is an antioxidant that kicks butt and takes names. This powerhouse reduces the appearance of dark spots, evens skin tone, and makes skin glow.
- Hyaluronic Acid — A naturally-occurring substance that we make less of as we age. It's an excellent binder and lubricant that provides skin with bounce and resilience.
- Peptides — Hardworking amino acids that constitute proteins like collagen and elastin that our skin needs. A dose of these can lead to age-defying skin.
- Retinol — A derivative of vitamin A, retinol helps improve texture and appearance while adding firmness.
- Glycerin — A natural moisturizer that attracts water, keeping the skin around your eyes plump and soft.
- Organic Green Tea — Another mighty antioxidant, green tea can combat signs of aging and soothe and protect the vulnerable under eye area.
- Vitamin B3 — A crucial vitamin that helps skin retain moisture, evens tone, and works to lessen the appearance of wrinkles.
We believe ingredients matter. To us, that means natural, botanical-rich, and cruelty-free. That's why our natural skincare products are made without toxins, animal byproducts, artificial fragrances and dyes, and other harmful additives. Power to the plants!
Who Needs Eye Cream
Not everybody needs an eye cream, but there are absolutely people out there who can benefit from one. Those with aging skin or who routinely deal with slackness and discoloration can see results from a good eye cream. It's also a great preventative for people in their 20s and 30s looking to retain firm, plump skin for longer.
Eye creams are also handy for dry skin types who need an extra dose of targeted moisture. Oily skin types can benefit too — since the undereye area has few oil glands, you can use a rich, decadent cream in conjunction with your oil-free moisturizers.
Most people start using eye cream in their late 20s and early 30s when they notice the first signs of aging. It's important to understand that eye creams only work when used consistently and over time. You may see some short-term effects, but for real results, you need to be in it for the long haul.
How To Apply Eye Cream
How to apply eye cream is pretty straightforward:
- Wash your face with a natural cleanser.
- Apply toner.
- Massage a few drops of your preferred serum into the skin.
- Gently massage or tap a pea-sized amount of natural eye cream into the undereye area using your ring or middle finger. It helps if the skin is a bit damp. Start in the innermost corner and move outward, avoiding your bottom lashes and eyelids.
- Moisturize to lock in the benefits.
- Don't forget the sunscreen (and sunglasses!)
Okay, the how is easy, but the when can be less intuitive. Applying daily is a must, but should you do morning or night? That depends!
Most creams, including our Eyes Eyes Baby, can be used morning and night no prob. If your cream is thick, using it before bed gives it time to soak in overnight. Retinol can cause sun sensitivity, so you'll want to use it well before you head outside. Vitamin C helps protect against the sun, making it a great morning addition. Be sure to read instructions and when in doubt, Google is your friend!
Frequently Asked Questions About Eye Cream
What is eye cream?
Eye cream is a specially-formulated moisturizer and brightener for the delicate skin around the eyes.
What does eye cream do?
Eye cream hydrates the undereye area and can lessen the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, dark circles, and puffiness as well as even skin tone and texture.
Do you need eye cream and moisturizer?
Yes! Most moisturizers are only tested for the face or body, not the fragile skin around the eyes.
What are the benefits of eye cream?
Eye cream protects from environmental stressors, works as a great preventative for the signs of aging, lessens the look of wrinkles, and can brighten and plump the under eye area over time.
Why use eye cream?
Eye cream is necessary to target specific issues, like dark circles or wrinkles, that affect the skin around the eyes using the proper concentrations of safe ingredients.
At what age should you start using eye cream?
You can use eye cream at any age, but many people begin in their late 20s and early 30s when they begin to notice signs of aging.
How do you apply eye cream?
Gently apply a small amount of eye cream to the area below your eyes using your ring or middle finger. Start in the innermost corner and move outward, avoiding the actual eyes.
What ingredients should you look for in an eye cream?
Antioxidants like vitamin C, green tea, and vitamin E, humectants like hyaluronic acid, aloe vera, and glycerin, emollients like jojoba and squalane, and occlusives such as beeswax and castor oil.
Fleur & Bee: Know Who You’re Buying From
At Fleur & Bee, we’re a small, close-knit team that makes natural skin care that's good for you, good for your wallet, and good for the planet.
Our clean skin care products are packed with carefully selected botanical ingredients that are time-tested and proven to work gently. Our collection is 100% vegan and cruelty-free and are free of nasties like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, silicones, and artificial fragrances. Oh and everything is under $30!
We’re also a sustainable skin care brand. Our products are crafted with sustainably sourced ingredients and are made with 100% renewable wind energy, and our packaging is up to 90% recyclable!
If we sound like your kind of clean skin care brand, check out our product lineup! Also, stay tuned to our blog for tips on easy, affordable, good-for-you skin care choices and ways to get your glow on!