Even if you have a skin care routine you’re happy with, there are always ways to up your skin care game with a few great gadgets. One of those fabulous little tools is the facial cleansing brush. If you’ve never used one before, it can be hard to know how to incorporate one into your skincare routine. That’s why, in this article, we’ll discuss how to use a facial cleansing brush, what the benefits are of a facial cleansing brush, and go over a few options as far as what brushes might be best for you.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: Using a facial cleansing brush is a great way to make sure your skin is just that much cleaner, better exfoliated, and looking its best.
Good to Know: Facial cleansing brushes come in a wide range of types and costs, depending on what you need or want them to do.
Recommended Products: So Clean! Facial Cleanser.
What Are the Benefits of a Facial Cleansing Brush?
There are many reasons you might want to use a facial cleansing brush, even if you already have a skin care routine you love. Facial cleansing brushes do more than just help cleanse the skin. Here are just some of the benefits of using a facial cleansing brush:
- A facial cleansing brush can help distribute cleanser evenly, and frankly, much more neatly than when you use your hands.
- Facial cleansing brushes help exfoliate the skin - It really depends which brush you use, but a good facial cleansing brush can help exfoliate the skin, getting it primed for moisturizer and/or makeup. Exfoliation helps restore skin’s natural glow and radiance. You can even find dry facial brushes that help exfoliate the skin even without cleanser and/or water.
- Facial cleansing brushes help brighten the skin -By massaging the skin, it gets the blood flow going and gets your skin looking its most radiant!
- Facial cleansing brushes help clean the skin - Facial brushes can get into the skin in ways that your hands or a washcloth can’t.
- Facial cleansing brushes help keep skin smooth - When skin is free of dirt and oil and is exfoliated on a regular basis, it looks and feels much more smooth.
- Facial cleansing brushes are great anti-aging tools - Skin that looks healthy and clean looks much younger than skin that looks dull and congested.
- Facial cleansing brushes feel fantastic - If you want to give yourself a little spa treatment every day but don’t really have the time, add a facial cleansing brush to your routine.
Finding the Best Facial Cleansing Brush for Your Skin
As with just about all aspects of skincare, figuring out which cleansing brush is right for your own skin is key. Here, we recommend several different kinds of cleansing brushes for different types of skin:
1. Best Facial Cleansing Brush for Sensitive Skin
Naturopathica: Facial Cleansing Brush
Sensitive skins will want to find the softest possible brush for facial cleansing in order to avoid irritation. This brush from Naturopathica is made with super soft nylon bristles and as a manual brush, will allow you to control the pressure put on your skin. Dry skins, take note--this would be a great choice for you as well!
2. Best Facial Cleansing Brush for Oily Skin
Foreo: Luna 3
Those of us with oily skin can’t seem to get enough when it comes to exfoliation, which is why we love the Foreo Luna 3. This electric facial cleansing brush can be used at different levels and really gets in there to help remove dirt and excessive oils from your skin.
3. Best Facial Cleansing Brush for Normal Skin
e.l.f.: Cleansing Duo Face Brush
Although we’ve recommended it for normal skin, this swell little brush could be nominated for best bargain brush as well! At only $14, this double-sided brush helps clean and massage the skin and is perfect for normal skin types since it’s somewhere between very gentle and powerful.
How to Use a Facial Cleansing Brush
Using a facial cleansing brush is actually incredibly easy. While you’ll want to make sure to read the instructions on your brush, here’s the general idea:
1. Put a couple of drops of a cleanser, like So Clean!, on your facial cleansing brush and apply to damp skin. We recommend using lukewarm water to cleanse.
2. Take the brush and gently massage the face in a circular motion, moving upwards on your face, being careful to avoid the sensitive eye area.
3. Massage the cleanser into the skin for about a minute. Some of the electronic facial brushes may come with an app that will time how long you should use it.
4. When you’re finished, rinse your face with lukewarm water and pat dry it with a clean facial cloth. Make sure you also rinse out the actual brush and let it dry out for the next time, so it doesn’t develop any bacteria.
5. Unless you have very dry or sensitive skin, you can use your facial cleansing brush twice a day– once in the morning and once at night.
Those are the basics on how to use a facial cleansing brush. We have a feeling you’ll find that once you use one, you’ll wonder how you lived without it.
Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.