Like drinking less coffee and getting more sleep, starting a skincare routine might be high on your list of lifestyle changes. If you’ve never really had a skin care routine before, it can be overwhelming to figure out what the best skincare routine is: what products do I need for a skin care routine? How do I know which products are right for me? When do I use each product and in what order do I use them? How often do I use them? The list goes on!
The truth is, the best skin care routine is the one you’ll follow--that means quality products, skin care that fits your skin type, and an understanding of how to use the products correctly. Even if you know nothing about skin care, this is actually all pretty simple so don’t fret!
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: All you need to start a new and effective skin care routine is a handful of simple, effective products that are right for your particular skin type.
Good to Know: Staying consistent and giving it at least a month to see results is one of the best ways to ensure your skincare products will work their best!
How to Figure Out Skin Type
The very first thing you should do when starting a skincare routine is to figure out your skin type.
There’s a little more to figuring out your skin type than this, but generally speaking, if you have flakey, itchy skin that’s prone to ashiness, you probably have dry skin. If you shine like crazy in Zoom calls and photographs, you most likely have oily skin. Breakout at the drop of a hat? You’re most likely a sensitive skin type and if your skin doesn’t really have any real issues at all, chances are, you’re a normal skin type. Once you’ve got that figured out, choose a skin care routine that’s right for your particular skin type. That means a lot more hydration for dry skins, more exfoliation for oily skins, and very mild products for sensitive skins.
Start With the Basics
Part of the reason so many people are so easily overwhelmed at the thought of starting a skincare routine is that there are just so many products out there. A good way to just get started is to concentrate on the basics. If you were learning to cook, you wouldn’t start out with a delicate soufflé, right? You’d start off with something simple like a great, basic lasagna! That’s exactly how to start your skin care routine! Concentrate on the basics--products that keep your skin clean, hydrated , and safe from the sun.
Here’s a great, simple routine to get going:
- Cleanse your skin - Starting a skincare routine is literally as simple as just cleansing your skin. Start with a cleanser like our So Clean! cleanser which cleans your skin without drying or irritating it. This gentle cleanser will not only remove dirt and oil from your skin, it will balance out your skin’s natural oils, leaving it smooth and clean!
- Moisturize your skin - Even if you have oily skin, it’s crucial that you make sure to keep your skin nice and hydrated, especially in the summer! Our Crème de la Cream moisturizer not only delivers the perfect amount of moisture to the skin, it visibly reduces fine lines and wrinkles, and brightens and evens skin tone. Full of hydrating ingredients like aloe vera and vitamin E, it’s earned its place as “The only moisturizer you’ll ever need!”
- Use sunscreen - There is no such thing as a good, productive skincare routine without sunscreen. A light, protective layer under your makeup will make an enormous difference in the way your skin looks 20 years from now! Don’t even think of leaving the house without it!
Believe it or not, that’s all you need to get started! But, you can always add products to your repertoire to target specific issues or just to make your skin look that much better. Here are some to get you to that next level:
- Use a toner - Not only is a toner like our Rose and Shine rosewater toner a great way to add a little extra hydration to your skin, it’s one of the easiest skin care products you’ll ever use! Literally all you have to do is spritz a couple of spritzes right after you cleanse and you’re good! It’s also great for minimizing the look of pores !
- Use an exfoliator - If you’re a skincare fan, then you probably know that a really great exfoliator not only makes skin look radiant and healthy, it preps the skin for makeup and sunscreen and helps other products like moisturizers and serums absorb into the skin much more effectively. Just make sure you use it on a clean face so you’re not just rubbing dirt and make-up into your skin.
- Use a serum - Serums are a great way to target a specific issue. For example, our Nectar of the C vitamin C serum restores brightness to dull, lifeless skin to make the skin glow, and diminishes the look of dark spots and wrinkles! A hydrating serum with hyaluronic acid is a great choice, or you could try a retinol serum which helps protect the skin from the environmental stressors that damage the skin. We recommend using a serum right after you tone and before you put your moisturizer on.
- Use an eye cream - We know what you’re probably thinking, “But I’m too young for an eye cream!” Truthfully, everyone can use eye cream no matter how old you are! The skin around the eye area is thin and has little moisture so it needs extra hydration. Our Eyes Eyes Baby anti-aging eye cream is perfect for reducing puffiness, bags, and even wrinkles.
- Treat yourself to a really great mask - Because they’re more intense and often get to work on really pesky problems like clogged pores or dull, lifeless skin, masks usually aren’t used every day, but if you’re putting together a great skin care routine, it should definitely include a mask. Not surprisingly, we’re partial to our Prince Charcoal natural detox mask which draws out impurities from the skin like you would not believe. It’s the perfect way to just get that last little bit of stubborn dirt and oil completely out of your skin. You could also try a hydrating mask or a gold masks (supposedly used by none other than Cleopatra!).
Believe it or not, that’s really all you need to get started on a great skin care routine in terms of product. That said, we also have a few little random tips about how to enhance these steps:
- Invest in a line - We’re not saying you can’t ever mix and match product lines, but usually, when you stick to one line in particular, your skin might improve faster since those products are made to work together.
- Stay consistent and stick with it - One of the best ways to make sure your products are working at their best is to use them consistently each day. Using them one day here and one day there isn’t going to get you results as quickly as if you really commit to a daily routine. Try to stick with it for at least a month so you can really see results.
- Make sure you’re applying products correctly - If you find your skin care products just aren’t working the way you’d like them to, it might be because you’re not using them correctly. After all, even the most gentle product can irritate skin if you use it with a rough loofah sponge! Read the packaging and watch videos to learn how best to use your products.
- Give yourself a weekly spa day as a reward - Remember that mask we mentioned? Why not use that as the starting point for a fabulous spa day as a reward for sticking to your routine (or just anything, really?). It’ll give you a reason to keep up the consistency.
These tips should help jumpstart you on a great, easy skin care routine that you can use for years to come! And don’t forget, we have some great videos on our site if you ever want to know how to use something!
Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.