Ask anyone who works in—or just has an obsession with—the beauty industry and they will tell you that there is no better beauty guru than Mother Nature. All the best, most effective ingredients are the ones that come from her which is why she’s always our first source when putting together our products. Never was this more true than in the case of green tea!
While the benefits of drinking green tea have long been known, many people are just discovering green tea benefits for skin. Full of vitamins, antioxidants, and calming properties, it’s one of nature’s best skin care products!
In this article we’ll look at what green tea is, where it’s from, 10 reasons to look for green tea in your skincare products, how to use green tea for skin, what skin types it’s good for, and answer some frequently asked questions about green tea skin care.
What is green tea? Where is it from?
Made from the camellia sinensis plant, green tea has been consumed as a drink for hundreds of years in Eastern cultures and has been used even longer for medicinal purposes. This continues today and in fact, China is still the world’s largest producer of green tea, producing 480,000 tons per year. It’s also produced throughout the world in Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Turkey, and Russia, among other places.
A sibling of black tea, which also comes from the camellia sinensis plant, green tea is said to be filled with more antioxidants than black tea since it doesn’t go through the same fermentation process that destroys them.
10 Reasons to Look for Green Tea in Your Skincare Products
Green tea benefits for skin are seemingly endless—it would almost be easier to say what they can’t do, than what they can!
Although there are many more, here are 10 Reasons to Look for Green Tea in Your Skincare Products.
1. Green tea contains antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the skin from environmental stressors which can damage leading to common signs of aging.
Green tea contains EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate), which is a powerful antioxidant that has a gentle effect on the skin. It’s considered one of green tea’s most effective elements!
2. Green tea brightens the skin. Unlike black tea, green tea contains vitamin C which is known to help brighten the skin.
3. Green tea evens skin tone. Again, vitamin c, which is also an antioxidant, is known for its ability to help even skin tone and renew the look of beautiful skin.
4. Green tea is anti-aging. Green tea contains vitamin B2. Also known as riboflavin, it helps temporarily firm and tighten the skin.
5. Green tea smooths the skin and improves skin’s texture. Green tea contains vitamin A, also known as Retinol, which is known for its power to keep the top two layers of skin looking their best (and since no one can see the other two, those are the most important ones!).
6. Green tea lessens the appearance of occasional redness. Full of vitamin B3, or niacin as it’s called, green tea is said to lessen the appearance of redness in faces that experience a flush easily.
7. Green tea helps balance oil. EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate), a compound found in green tea, is thought to help control oil.
8. Green tea reduces puffiness. Green tea contains caffeine, which, when applied topically, can help reduce puffiness in skin and minimize the look of dark circles.
9. Green tea hydrates the skin. Chock full of vitamin E which is famous for its hydrating properties, green tea is great for adding moisture to the skin.
10. Green tea reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Plant compounds called polyphenols have strong antioxidant properties. Found in green tea, they help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
How to Use Green Tea for Skin
There are probably as many ways to use green tea for skin as there are tea leaves on the planet! OK, slight exaggeration but still, there are dozens of ways green tea can benefit your skin.
1. Before you do anything, clean your skin with a natural cleanser.
2. One of the best home treatments for tired eyes is some good, old-fashioned tea bags! Chances are, your mom or your grandmother probably tried this trick at some point and it still works today! The great part about it is that you get to drink the tea and then use it for your skin!
Just boil a little water and fix yourself a cup of green tea just as you normally would (and maybe one for a friend so you have two bags to use later!). Once the tea bag is cooled off (and ONLY once it’s cooled off), put a tea bag on each eye. We bet you’ll see those dark under eye circles improve in no time!
3. Once you’re finished, be sure to dab on a little of our Eyes Eyes Baby eye cream. Made with green tea, it will reduce the appearance of wrinkles, bags, and puffiness.
4. Use it as a moisturizer! There’s a good reason we put green tea in our moisturizer! Delivering just the perfect amount of moisture, the green tea in Crème de la Cream reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and works as a natural anti-oxidant, protecting the skin from environmental stressors.
5. Remember that green tea we made to put the tea bags on our eyes? Once the actual tea has cooled down, either put a little on a washcloth and gently go over the skin, or put in a spray bottle and use as a freshening toner (just don’t forget to use your regular toner as well!).
What Skin Type is Green Tea Good For?
Oily Skin - If you’ve got oily skin but don’t like the idea of using an exfoliant, green tea is a great option. EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate), a compound found in green tea, is thought to help control oil. Though sebum can help keep the skin lubricated, it can also clog pores, especially in oily skin. Green tea can help balance skin’s natural oils.
Dry Skin – As we mentioned above, green tea is packed with vitamin E which is known for its ability to hydrate the skin but it also contains L-Theanine which is an amino acid that also helps hydrate the skin.
Combination Skin – Since green tea works well on both oily and dry skins, it’s perfect for someone with combination skin who needs to balance the oily parts of their skin while hydrating the dry parts.
Aging Skin – Not only does green tea revitalize the appearance of mature skin, it helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in aging skin.
Sensitive Skin – Known for its incredible ability to soothe the skin and help even out redness, green tea should be a must-have ingredient for anyone with sensitive skin!
Frequently Asked Questions About Green Tea
Is green tea good for your skin?
Yes! The green tea benefits for skin are countless! From green tea’s rich antioxidants which help protect the skin from outside stressors, to its ability to soothe the skin, to its hydration capabilities, green tea does just about everything you can think of to keep your skin looking its absolute best!
What does green tea do for skin complexion?
Here are just a few of the green tea skin care benefits you can expect when you make it an essential part of your skin care routine:
- Green tea brightens the skin
- Green tea evens skin tone
- Green tea smooths the skin
- Green tea lessens the appearance of occasional redness
- Green tea helps balance oil
- Green tea improves skin texture
- Green tea hydrates the skin
- Green tea reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Drinking Green Tea vs. Using Products Containing Green Tea
When using green tea to enhance skin’s appearance, most of us think of applying it topically, rather than drinking it to reap the benefits. While it appears that drinking green tea does have some benefits to the skin, you might want to think twice about actually drinking green tea every day.
Green tea contains caffeine, which, for many people can be a source of headaches, jitteriness, or insomnia. It’s also thought to interfere with medications for blood clotting so if you’re on blood thinners, think twice about drinking green tea!
Since it’s completely safe to use skin care products that contain green tea on a daily basis, you might want to go that route instead and just treat yourself to a cup or two on occasion!
That’s our round-up of green tea skin benefits! Chances are, you’ll never look at green tea the same way again. Other than pouring it all over your face the next time you’re at a coffee shop, there almost isn’t a way you can’t use it!
Fleur & Bee: Know Who You’re Buying From
At Fleur & Bee, we’re a small, close-knit team that makes natural skin care that's good for you, good for your wallet, and good for the planet.
Our clean skin care products are packed with carefully selected botanical ingredients that are time-tested and proven to work gently. Our collection is 100% vegan and cruelty-free and are free of nasties like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, silicones, and artificial fragrances. Oh and everything is under $30!
We’re also a sustainable skin care brand. Our products are crafted with sustainably sourced ingredients and are made with 100% renewable wind energy, and our packaging is up to 90% recyclable!
If we sound like your kind of clean skin care brand, check out our product lineup! Also, stay tuned to our blog for tips on easy, affordable, good-for-you skin care choices and ways to get your glow on!