Taking care of your décolletage is just as important--and very similar to--taking care of the skin on your face. In fact, it might even be more important since it tends to get overlooked quite a bit and therefore, gets damaged quickly. That’s why in this article we’ll discuss décolletage skin care, tips and best products!
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: Your décolletage is the area below your neck, and above your cleavage. It is one of the areas on your body likely to show signs of aging, so it needs a little TLC just like your face.
Good to Know: Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to your décolletage, it will help to prevent the look of sun spots and wrinkles.
What is Décolletage?
Décolletage is the area that comprises the skin on your neck and your upper chest. As exposed skin, it’s highly vulnerable to damage (from sun, environment, etc.), and tends to show signs of aging earlier than other parts of the body. You may have even noticed freckles, dark spots, wrinkles, and general irritation on your own décolletage area, especially after a prolonged period in the sun. Not taking care of your décolletage is like washing your entire car but forgetting to clean the windshield so be sure to include this area in your skin care routine!
Décolletage Skin Care Tips
Although most of us have fairly elaborate skin routines for our faces, we tend to overlook our décolletage, especially in the winter months when it’s hidden under heavy clothing. That’s a shame because it’s easy to take care of and ages quickly when ignored, so here are some tips for taking care of your décolletage:
- Watch your sun exposure - Even at a relatively young age, sun spots and freckles can show up on the décolletage area. That’s because that skin is extremely vulnerable to sun damage, especially in the summer when that part of the body is more exposed.
- Moisturize - The skin on the neck and upper chest can really dry out, especially when exposed to a lot of sun or even dry, winter weather. That’s why it’s extremely important to make sure you’re hydrating the neck and upper chest just as you would your face.
- Exfoliate - We often think of exfoliation as something for the skin on our face, but the truth is that you should exfoliate your body as well, especially before you moisturize. By exfoliating, you not only expose new, healthy skin, you allow moisturizer to really sink in and not just sit on top of dead skin.
- Apply serum - Few products do as good a job of diminishing the look of dark spots and wrinkles as serum so why stop at just your face? Also, serum will help really brighten up your skin tone and that applies to the décolletage area as well!
- Sleep on your back - It seems crazy that the way you sleep can affect what your skin looks like, but it can! In fact, if you just lie in bed on your side you can probably see your décolletage suddenly crinkle up. If you can train yourself to sleep on your back, you’ll help keep those wrinkles from forming in the first place.
- Keep stress under control - If you’re like a lot of people, your neck and chest may start to turn red in times of stress or anger, especially if you have sensitive skin. Although this irritation is usually not permanent, it’s always better not to irritate the skin if you can avoid it. Next time you see your neck and chest start to turn red in response to stress, try taking a few deep breaths or going for a walk to get it to calm down.
- Get a yearly chemical peel - Because this area of the skin is so often overlooked and damages so easily, it can be a good idea to get a peel from a medical professional once or twice a year. That little extra boost of exfoliation will reduce the appearance of spots and will help your moisturizer be more effective.
Décolletage Skin Care Best Products
You really don’t need to restock your skin care just to keep your décolletage in great shape. Although we’ve suggested a couple of extras, many of the products you use on your face will be just as effective on your neck and upper chest.
As a general rule, the cleaner skin is, the healthier it looks so when you’re washing your face make sure you’re getting the area under your face as well! Our So Clean! natural facial cleanser is a great choice for that area in particular because it cleans the skin without drying it.
A moisturizer like our Crème de la Cream that contains vitamin C to help lock in moisture and vitamin E to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and discoloration is perfect since these are especially common problems for the décolletage area.
Vitamin C not only helps reduce the appearance of dark spots significantly (which is one of the biggest signs of aging on the décolletage area), it also helps even out uneven skin tone (also a big issue on the neck and chest, especially since clothing can expose different parts of the skin at different times, making skin tone very uneven).
A product like our Nectar of the C vitamin C serum, which contains 15% vitamin C, is perfect for restoring an even tone to that area. Not only that, but it contains vitamin E which really helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles!
There’s no reason you can’t take a little of our Prince Charcoal Natural Detox Mask and exfoliate your décolletage area. The clays in it will help exfoliate and detox the skin, while other ingredients like aloe vera will form a thin, protective layer to help lock in moisture. It also contains glycolic acid which, believe it or not, will both exfoliate and hydrate your skin!
Other than just staying out of the sun entirely (and/or wearing scarves year round) the only way to prevent sun damage is to apply a high SPF sunscreen. Try to get into the habit of applying sunscreen on your neck and upper chest area when you apply it on your face. And remember, the same rules about reapplying it every few hours (especially if you’ve been sweating a lot) go for the décolletage area as well.
6. UV protective clothing
Never heard of UV protective clothing? Trust us--it’s a thing and it’s a great solution for preventing sun damage, especially if you can’t get your hands on sunscreen. Although all kinds of clothing are made with UV protection, we strongly recommend a lightweight scarf to protect the décolletage area.
We hope this helps illuminate why it’s so important to take care of your décolletage (and how easy it actually is!).