Taking care of your décolletage is just as important--and very similar to--taking care of the skin on your face. In fact, it might even be more important since your neckline tends to get overlooked quite a bit and therefore, gets damaged quickly. That’s why in this article we’ll discuss décolletage skin care, tips and best products.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: Your décolletage is the area below your neck and above your cleavage. It is one of the areas on your body likely to show signs of aging, so it needs a little TLC, just like your face.
Good to Know: Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to your décolletage; it will help to prevent the look of sun spots and wrinkles.
What is Décolletage?
Décolletage is the area that comprises the skin on your neck and your upper chest. As exposed skin, it’s highly vulnerable to damage from the sun, your environment, etc., and tends to show signs of aging earlier than other parts of the body. You may have even noticed freckles, dark spots, wrinkles, and general irritation on your own décolletage area, especially after a prolonged period in the sun.
Décolletage Skin Care Tips
Although most of us have fairly elaborate skin routines for our faces, we tend to overlook our décolletage, especially in the winter months when it’s hidden under heavy clothing. Here are some tips for taking care of your décolletage:
- Watch your sun exposure - Even at a relatively young age, sun spots and freckles can show up on the décolletage area. That’s because that skin is extremely vulnerable to sun damage, especially in the summer when that part of the body is more exposed.
- Moisturize - The skin on the neck and upper chest can really dry out, especially when exposed to a lot of sun or even dry, winter weather. That’s why it’s extremely important to make sure you’re moisturizing the neck and upper chest just as you would your face.
- Exfoliate - We often think of exfoliation as something for the skin on our face, but the truth is that you should exfoliate your body as well, especially before you moisturize. By exfoliating, you not only expose new, healthy skin, you allow moisturizer to really sink in and not just sit on top of dead skin.
- Apply serum - Few products do as good a job of diminishing the look of dark spots and wrinkles as serum, so why stop at just your face? A vitamin C serum will help brighten up your skin tone, so don’t forget to apply it to your neck and décolletage when you use it on your face.
- Sleep on your back - The way you sleep can affect your skin looks. In fact, if you lie in bed on your side, you’ll likely see your décolletage crinkle up. If you can train yourself to sleep on your back, you’ll help keep those wrinkles from forming initially.
- Keep stress under control -For some, your neck and chest may start to turn red in times of stress or anger, especially if you have sensitive skin. Although this irritation is usually not permanent, this inflammation causes your skin to age.
Décolletage Skin Care Best Products
The same skincare products you use on your face are just as effective on your décolletage. Here’s how to use these products to keep your neckline looking great:
Healthy skin begins with clean skin. Our So Clean! facial cleanser is a great choice for both your complexion and your décolletage, because it purifies the skin without drying it out.
Use a moisturizer that contains vitamin E to help lock in moisture, and vitamin C to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and discoloration, like our Crème de la Cream.
Vitamin C helps reduce the appearance of dark spots significantly, which is one of the biggest signs of aging in the décolletage area. It also helps even out uneven skin tone. Apply a serum like Nectar of the C vitamin C serum, which contains 10% vitamin C, to restore an even tone.
An easy way to exfoliate your décolletage area is by using a clay mask, like our Prince Charcoal detox mask. It employs clay and glycolic acid to exfoliate and activated charcoal to detox the skin, while other ingredients like aloe vera will form a thin, protective layer to help lock in moisture.
Other than just staying out of the sun entirely, (the only way to prevent sun damage is to apply a high SPF sunscreen. Get into the habit of applying sunscreen on your neck and upper chest area when you apply it on your face.
6. UV protective clothing
Wearing UV protective clothing is a great solution for preventing sun damage, especially if you are prone to sunburns and/or spend a lot of time in the sun.
We hope this helps illuminate why it’s so important to take care of your décolletage– and how easy it actually is!