Those of us who are crazy about skincare know that we can get a little carried away sometimes. The simple routines of yore have been replaced by intricate self-care rituals that include everything from jade rolling and gua sha tools to dermaplaning. And that's okay! Whatever has you feeling pampered, healthy, and confident gets an A grade from us.
But when it comes to the countless products out there, eye cream tends to get left out in the cold. You might think, "Why use eye cream when I've already got a dedicated moisturizer?"
That's why we're here! To go over the bounty of benefits of using eye cream. We're going to cover what they are and tell you all about some of the star ingredients that make eye creams effective. We'll also explain how eye cream is different from face lotion, who really needs eye cream, how to apply it, and frequently asked questions.
If eyes are the window to the soul, then some of us have been neglecting the frames. Let's dive in.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: Eye cream is super beneficial as the skin around your eyes is thinner, and the first to show signs of aging. A good eye cream can help to minimize the look of wrinkles, dark circles, and puffiness.
Good to Know: If you start using an eye cream in your 20s, it will help to prevent the look of wrinkles.
Recommended Products: Eyes Eyes Baby Eye Cream.
What Does Eye Cream Do?
Ever noticed how after a long night, your eyes give you away the next day thanks to bags, dark circles, and puffiness? Or that some of the first signs of aging appear as crow's feet and fine lines beneath the eyes? That's no accident. The skin around your peepers is more fragile than the rest of your face and body. It's much thinner, has very few oil glands to hydrate it, and is subject to tons of micromovements and facial expressions every day. Pay attention to how much you blink, smile, or laugh and you'll get a taste of what that skin goes through!
That sensitive area requires special maintenance to keep it looking its best. Eye creams do just that. They're formulated to target the delicate skin around the eyes and deliver moisture and just the right amount of specific ingredients to help and not hurt. They can lessen the look of bags, puffiness, and uneven tone while keeping the area nourished and supple. They also protect against signs of premature aging. Our hero!
Regular moisturizers might be packed with components that benefit the rest of your face, but are just too highly concentrated for the eye area. Consider that touchy spot the goldilocks of skincare — everything has to be just right.
10 Benefits of Eye Cream
Even if you don't think you need it yet, eye cream is a smart preventative measure to keep skin firm and supple down the line. But there are plenty of other reasons to use it, too! Here are ten of the benefits you'll reap when you consistently use eye cream:
1. Eye cream helps prevent common signs of aging.
Dull, tired, and slack-looking skin happens for a variety of reasons, but two big culprits are dehydration and environmental stressors. A natural eye cream packed with antioxidants and moisture-giving ingredients (like our very own Eyes Eyes Baby ) can help keep these aggressors at bay.
2. It can lessen the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Another thing that curated antioxidants, vitamins, and hydrators help with? Smoothing and revitalizing skin, resulting in the diminished appearance of wrinkles and expression lines.
3. It minimizes the look of puffiness.
Puffiness that comes from fluid buildup can be caused by things like sleep deprivation, allergies, and aging. The best eye creams have ingredients that reduce these visible signs of fatigue.
4. It helps reduce the appearance of dark circles.
Natural eye creams are full of beneficial botanicals that minimize the look of discoloration and give you a brightening boost.
5. Eye cream delivers tailor-made hydration.
The thin skin around your peepers needs a specialized kind of hydration, which eye cream provides. It does this with just the right concentration of ingredients that won't irritate the skin and dry it out further.
6. It helps even skin tone.
Nourished, moisturized skin looks brighter and healthier. Add in rejuvenating vitamins that keep buildup and irritants at bay, and you've got a glowing, even skin tone.
7. It prepares your skin for makeup.
Eye creams do a great job of smoothing and lessening the appearance of dark spots and puffiness. That helps concealer apply more evenly and keeps it from building up in expression lines over the day.
8. It can strengthen and protect delicate skin.
Thin under-eye skin is more vulnerable and prone to irritants than the rest of the face. Eye creams boast ingredients that target this specifically to add resilience to the area.
9. Eye cream rejuvenates an area that takes a lot of abuse.
As we age, the skin around the eyes loses some of its bounce. Add that to aggravating outdoor elements, irritants, and the millions of expressions we make in a lifetime, and you've got skin that could use some TLC. Eye creams are dedicated to getting that skin back to its beautiful self.
10. It soothes tired eyes.
Eye creams have calming, nourishing ingredients to comfort your under-eye area. They can also be rich and creamy or light and non-greasy, with a subtle coolness in temperature. Cue sigh of relief.
Ingredients to Look Out for
How do eye creams manage to do all these wondrous things? With the right formulations, of course! At Fleur & Bee, we think the best eye cream is a natural eye cream without any toxins, chemicals, animal byproducts, artificial fragrances, or other gunk. But here are a few more ingredients that can bring light to your eyes:
- Caffeine — Caffeine gives tired-looking skin a boost and decreases the appearance of dark circles and puffiness.
- Peptides — These amino acids constitute proteins like collagen and elastin that our skin needs. A dose of these can lead to youthful-looking skin.
- Green Tea — With potent antioxidant power, green tea soothes and protects the vulnerable under-eye area and keeps it looking fresh.
- Vitamin C — One of our favorites! This powerhouse reduces the appearance of dark spots, evens skin tone, and makes skin glow.
- Hyaluronic Acid — This lubricating substance occurs naturally in our bodies and provides bounce and resilience.
- Aloe Vera — Tired, stressed eyes will appreciate aloe vera's soothing, cooling, and hydrating properties.
- Squalane — Squalane is a top-notch soother and hydrator that mimics our sebum for a plumping effect.
- Retinol — This vitamin A derivative helps to plump and firm the skin while kicking discoloration to the curb.
- Vitamin B3 — A crucial vitamin that supports moisture retention and an even skin tone.
How to Apply Eye Cream
Thankfully, working eye cream into your skincare routine is simple:
- Wash your face with a natural cleanser.
- Apply toner.
- Massage a few drops of your favorite serum into the skin.
- Gently massage or tap a pea-sized amount of natural eye cream into the area below your eyes using your ring or middle finger. Start in the innermost corner and move outward, avoiding your bottom eyelashes.
- Moisturize that beautiful face.
There are a few things you can do to get the most out of your eye cream. With skincare products, always go in order of thinnest to thickest. If your eye cream is thicker than your moisturizer, apply the moisturizer first and vice versa! Here are more tips and tricks:
- Be gentle! Use a delicate touch, otherwise, you can aggravate your skin.
- Give it time. Allow your eye cream to sink in and settle before you move on to the next step.
- Keep it consistent. Try your best not to skip a day and make sure you apply your eye cream morning and night. It's the only way you'll get glowing results.
- Cool it down. If the formulation allows, try storing your eye cream in the fridge. A chillier temperature can help refresh, de-puff, and soothe tired eyes.
- Moisture is your friend. By applying eye cream to skin that’s just a little bit damp, it will soak in even better.
Eye creams are a great way to pamper yourself, prevent and combat signs of aging, and give your eyes the brightening boost they deserve. When combined with natural skincare products, a healthy diet, lots of water and sleep, and sunscreen, nothing can stop you from feeling and looking your best.
Frequently Asked Questions About Eye Cream
What does eye cream do?
Eye cream targets the delicate area under your eyes to hydrate, firm, brighten and soothe while preventing and combating common signs of aging.
What are the benefits of eye cream?
Eye cream can rejuvenate skin and give it a youthful glow, even skin tone, lessen the appearance of dark circles and puffiness, prep skin for makeup, and strengthen and protect the under-eye area.
What are common ingredients in eye cream?
Eye creams can include caffeine, retinol, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B3, squalane, aloe vera, peptides, and more.
How do you apply eye cream?
Gently apply a small amount of eye cream to the area below your eyes using your ring or middle finger. Start in the innermost corner and move outward, avoiding the actual eyes.
Is eye cream necessary?
Everyone's skin and goals are different, but eye cream can be a vital part of a balanced, nourishing skincare routine.
Do you put eye cream on eyelids?
We wouldn't recommend it. Eye cream is best used near the eyes but not on your top eyelid or too close to your bottom lashline. Try to target the eye socket only.
Who needs eye cream?
Anyone who routinely deals with dark circles, puffiness, tired or slack skin, environmental stressors, and those looking to prevent and fight signs of aging.
Are there risks to using eye cream?
Like with any skincare product, some ingredients may not agree with you. Natural eye creams free of chemicals and fake fragrances are less likely to irritate the skin. Always check ingredients lists and do a patch test before using.