Whether you’re in the prime of your youth or a have a little more life experience — all skin eventually starts to develop wrinkles.
Super annoying, right?!
No matter how old you are, it’s never too early (or too late) to start thinking about how to prevent the appearance of wrinkles or minimize the look of annoying little lines like crow’s feet.
If you’d like to avoid needles, surgeries, and other invasive techniques, there are lots of natural ways to diminish the look of wrinkles.
Keep reading for all the best pro tips on how to prevent the look of face wrinkles and keep your skin looking young, fresh, and glowing — au natural!
How and Why Do Face Wrinkles Happen? Here’s the Science.
Ever notice how babies and small children have smooth, radiant skin? Ideally we’d all maintain that effortless, gorgeous glow forever.
But over time, face wrinkles (particularly around the eye, where skin is thinner) become a reality. So why must they plague us?
As skin ages, it naturally starts to lose elasticity, thickness, and moisture.
The top layer of skin is called the epidermis, and it protects us from the elements. It’s the only part we can see, so that’s where wrinkles reveal themselves.
But wrinkles actually form deeper down.
The next layer, the dermis, is made up of elastin (fibers) and collagen (protein) that keep the epidermis tight, plump, and youthful looking.
The biggest culprit when it comes to damaging the dermis is — you guessed it — sun exposure! UV rays penetrate the epidermis and break down the collagen and elastin.
Other factors related to the appearance of face wrinkles include genetics, habitual movements (like squinting or smiling), smoking (a major no-no), and other unhealthy lifestyle factors.
The good news is, many of these factors can be reduced or avoided, and you can create a skin care routine that helps reduce or eliminate the appearance of face wrinkles naturally. Happy dance!
Seven Ways to Make Wrinkles Seemingly Disappear
If you want to get rid of the look of wrinkles and be an ageless beauty, here are six key tricks:
1. Eat foods rich in antioxidants.
Eating the rainbow isn’t about Skittles — it’s about all that good-for-you stuff that Mother Nature makes.
Fruits and vegetables (and other foods that originate from the earth) are full of antioxidants, which naturally rejuvenate your skin and keep your body at its best.
Some of the most antioxidant rich foods — often called superfoods — include:
- Berries (particularly blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, and raspberries)
- Leafy greens like kale, collards, and bok choy
- Dark chocolate (aim for a 75% or higher concentration of cocoa, so maybe skip the M&Ms)
For extra points, scope out your local farmer’s market and grab superfoods that are in season!
Fresh, locally grown fruits and veggies tend to have higher amounts of antioxidants than those that have to travel long distances or spend time in storage (although freezing them immediately after harvest keeps those antioxidants intact!).
While it’s always better to get your nutrients through eating healthy food (or drinking yummy, healthy smoothies and juices) — you can get an extra boost through high-quality, natural supplements.
In other words, take your vitamins! Some of the key supplements for healthy, youthful looking skin include:
Vitamin C: Maybe the most important ingredient when it comes to skincare, vitamin C can brighten, tighten, and rejuvenate your skin — both internally and externally. Getting enough of it in your diet (and/or via a supplement) will help amplify its youth-boosting effects on the outside of your skin.
Vitamin A: Another key antioxidant, this vitamin can help to nourish your skin and keep it plump and supple for as long as possible.
Vitamin E and Selenium: These two work similarly to improve your skin’s natural defenses and help to protect against environmental stressors.
Zinc: Zinc helps to nourish your immune system and boosts your skin’s healing power.
Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids: These monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (derived mainly from nuts, seeds, avocados and fish) will help your skin stay moisturized and supple over time.
B vitamins (including biotin): Biotin (B7) is commonly found in skincare supplements, and it’s known to help strengthen hair, skin, and nails. Other B vitamins are important, too, including thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), folic acid (B9), and cobalamin (B12). Many people are deficient in B12 due to a lack of nutrients in our soil, and those following a vegan diet, in particular, need to supplement.
Collagen: By now you know that collagen is an important part of you skin’s structure, and there are an array of collagen-boosting supplements and products. The jury is still out as far as how helpful collagen supplementation is, but it’s worth exploring some of the natural, high-quality options that could potentially help you keep face wrinkles at bay.
3. Wear sunscreen. Always.
If you aren’t already wearing sunscreen EVERY SINGLE DAY, what are you waiting for?
Ask any dermatologist or esthetician, and they’ll tell you that sun protection is key for minimizing damage and keeping face wrinkles, crow’s feet, and other issues at bay.
Find a quality natural sunscreen and use it religiously. Apply it every morning, even when you can’t see the sun.
UV rays get through cloud cover, so you’re always at risk of sun damage — no matter how bad the weather!
4. Create a sleep routine and stick to it.
You’re busy. We get it. Everyone has crazy schedules these days, and our Google calendars are jammed. But sleep is super important.
And it’s not just about being tired; a lack of sleep can prematurely age your skin. Unfortunately, sleeping isn’t easy for everyone; a lot of us struggle with falling or staying asleep.
But the best solution is a consistent sleep routine. Meaning, you engage in your rituals (teeth brushing, face washing, etc.), go to bed at (approximately) the same time every night, and stick to it.
Try to avoid caffeine, keep your bed space sacred (use it only for sleeping and sex), use aromatherapy (we like lavender!) before bed, put down your devices, drink some sleep-inducing tea, and wind down before hitting the hay.
5. Use high quality skincare products.
We’re a skincare company, so obviously we’re big on this one! There are thousands of products on the market claiming to make wrinkles disappear, but most of them are packed with harsh chemical ingredients.
We’re big believers in botanically-sourced ingredients when it comes to skincare. Having a consistent skincare routine that utilizes natural elements is key when it comes to minimizing and avoiding the look of face wrinkles.
Our recommended skincare routine to reduce the appearance of wrinkles is simple:
- Start with a gentle, natural face wash.
- Use a natural toner (like our Rose and Shine). Let it soak in and enjoy the lovely rose scent!
- Apply 2-3 drops of a vitamin C serum (like our Nectar of the C) onto fingertips. Gently smooth onto your entire face, avoiding eye area, and let it dry.
- Apply a natural eye cream to the delicate, thin skin of your under eye and around your eye (like our Eyes Eyes Baby).
- Apply a natural moisturizer (like our Crème de la Cream) and let it dry.
- Apply a natural sunscreen.
- Repeat this routine in the morning and evening (although you can skip the sunscreen at night).
This simple routine will protect, nourish, and give your skin the glow up you’re looking for.
Keep it up over time, and you’ll minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and make sure your skin looks its best at every age.
6. Minimize stress.
Easier said than done, we know!
Stress is bad for all aspects of your bod — from your stomach to your brain to your skin. Cortisol (known as the stress hormone) has a whole host of negative mental and physical health effects associated with it.
So anything you can do to minimize that day-to-day stress is going to benefit you in a big way!
Stress relief is different for everyone. Some of the Fleur & Bee team’s favorite ways to reduce stress include:
- Meditate. There are dozens of apps and thousands of free guided meditations on YouTube. Find one you like and try it whenever you have a few extra minutes.
- Adopt a furry friend. Nothing reduces stress like petting an uber-adorable cat, dog, ferret — or your animal of choice. Pets are serious stress relievers. If you can’t adopt, consider volunteering at a shelter.
- Make art. This could mean ANYTHING, from knitting to painting to embroidery to creating collages to woodworking. Try different things and see what gets your creative juices flowing.
- Spend time with friends. The Fleur & Bee team is a close-knit bunch, so we get lots of laughs every day at the office — which makes for way less work stress. Find your tribe and spend time with them; play games, go on adventures, and LAUGH. Laughter really is the best medicine and it will totally keep you young.
- Exercise. Exercise is a major natural stress reliever that boosts endorphins — those feel-good chemicals we need. And it doesn’t have to be a drag. Join a sports league or find something you love to do, like hiking, dancing, swimming, etc.
- Journal. Writing down your feelings — positive, negative, or otherwise, can often help release them. Whether or not you’re a “good” writer is irrelevant. The key is just writing stuff down. It helps.
7. Home Remedies
There are lots of ways you can boost your youthful glow via DIY, often using items you already have in your fridge or medicine cabinet.
Give yourself a spa day once a week, and indulge in a little TLC for your face and bod. Some of our favorite home remedies include:
- Cold cucumber slices. They’re a great way to nourish the under eye area (and are also great for puffy eyes). Lie down and leave them in place for at least 15 minutes.
- DIY face masks. One of our favorite easy recipes includes two ingredients you might already have: oatmeal and avocado. Cook a half a cup of plain oatmeal, let it cool, then mix it with half of a mashed avocado. Apply it to your face, leave it on for 15 minutes, and rinse! Instant glow.
- Aloe. Have an aloe plant? If so, you can cut off a leaf, squeeze out the gel, apply it to your (clean) face, and massage with your fingers for a few minutes. It feels amazing and aloe has natural anti-aging properties. Once you’re done with the massage, leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse.
Prevent the Appearance of Wrinkles and Look Forever Young
If you stick with these tricks and tactics over the years, you’re bound to be the best looking senior citizen ever!
Keep taking good care of your skin — and yourself — and you’ll get rid of the look of wrinkles and stay forever young! (And anyway, you’re only as old as you feel. Age ain’t nothing but a number.)
Fleur & Bee: Know Who You’re Buying From
At Fleur & Bee, we’re a small, close-knit team that’s super passionate about amazing skincare, affordability, and natural ingredients.
Quality skincare shouldn’t be complicated, so we designed our line with that in mind. All of our products are 100% vegan and cruelty-free; no parabens, gluten, sulfates, or artificial fragrances. All of our ingredients were carefully sourced by our team.
We also donate one percent of profits to help distribute menstrual hygiene products to women in need.