These days, more and more people are making like Kermit and going green. Conscious citizens everywhere are thinking about their footprint on the planet — and how we can all do a better job of protecting this big blue marble we call home.
And it’s not a minute too soon! Our planet is facing some serious environmental challenges, and we’ve gotta come together to turn things around.
At Fleur & Bee, we designed our entire line of products with Mother Earth in mind! We strive to be as eco-conscious as possible. Green beauty is kind of our thing. (We’re fans of this planet, and we’d like for it to stick around awhile.)
And the good news is, products that are good for the earth also tend to be good for your skin — nourishing, natural, and gentle.
With that in mind, here’s the scoop about environmentally friendly skin care, its many benefits — and how Fleur & Bee does its part.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: Green skin care products are products that respect the environment — both in the ingredients used, and in the way they’re produced.
Good to Know: The terms “green skin care” and “clean skin care” are not regulated, so it’s up to consumers to educate themselves and pick products from brands that use sustainably sourced ingredients and have a commitment to a green future.
Why Green Beauty Matters
So what is “green” skin care, exactly? Well, it’s not a term you’ll find on Dictionary.com.
For us, green skin care means skin care products that respect the environment — both in the ingredients we choose to use, and in the way they’re produced.
It means consciously choosing packaging materials, responsibly sourcing the ingredients used in our products, adding botanicals that our customers can recognize (and that are good for their long-term health), and minimizing our environmental footprint whenever possible.
We take being a green beauty brand seriously!
Opting Out of Animal Agriculture With Environmentally Friendly Skin Care
In the age of environmental consciousness, it’s important to take a look at everything that increases our collective carbon footprint.
According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, livestock — or raising animals for use in food and other products — is “one of the top two or three significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global.”
Raising livestock causes land and water pollution, water shortages, biodiversity loss, acid rain, the destruction of coral reefs and deforestation.
And animal agriculture causes 18% of human produced greenhouse gas emissions, which is more than all ships, planes, trucks, cars and all other transportation combined. So while driving an electric car is awesome — so is opting for vegan ingredients!
Using animals as ingredients is clearly pretty taxing on planet earth. That’s why Fleur & Bee’s product lineup is 100% vegan.
Natural and Organic Ingredients in Our Clean Skin Care Products
We use a lot of ingredients in our Fleur & Bee products, but they’re all things you’ll recognize! And even if it’s an ingredient that’s new to you — you can trust that it’s good for you and good for the planet. Plant-based, conscious, and cruelty-free.
Whenever possible we use natural and organic ingredients in all of our vegan skin care products.
Some of our most common inclusions are:
- Organic Aloe Vera — You probably know this plant for its soothing after-sun benefits, but it’s also an amazing skin care ingredient that helps to alleviate temporary redness and remove dirt and oil from the surface of your skin. It’s found in our Nectar of the C serum, our Crème de la Cream moisturizer, and our Eyes Eyes Baby eye cream.
- Organic Sunflower Oil — This nutrient-rich flower has a wealth of benefits for healthy skin. It hydrates, helps your skin retain moisture, and smooths out roughness. It’s found in our Crème de la Cream moisturizer and our Eyes Eyes Baby eye cream.
- Vitamin C — The antioxidant found in yummy citrus fruits, this is a must-have skin care ingredient. It helps skin appear more even, plump, and smooth; it reduces the appearance of dark spots; and it’s great for allover glow! It’s found in our Nectar of the C serum and our Crème de la Cream moisturizer.
- Vitamin E — Another antioxidant, this nourishing vitamin helps to boost your skin’s protection against the elements as well moisturizing. It’s found in our Nectar of the C serum, our Crème de la Cream moisturizer, and our Eyes Eyes baby eye cream.
- Rose Flower Oil — It comes from roses, of course it’s amazing! But seriously, this special oil helps to hydrate, rid skin of impurities … and it smells fantastic! It’s found in our Rose and Shine toner.
- Organic Gotu Kola — This one might sound strange, but it’s actually a powerful superfood that helps to temporarily tighten skin, remove icky build up from skin’s surface, and helps it stay smooth. It’s found in our Crème de la Cream moisturizer and our Eyes Eyes Baby eye cream.
These and other botanicals are nourishing for your skin — and growing them is easy on planet Earth.
Why Fleur & Bee Is a Green Skin Care Brand
By now you’re probably convinced that environmentally friendly skin care is worth your investment. So here are some of the ways Fleur & Bee measures up:
- Our products are manufactured with 100% renewable wind energy, and fruit trees are planted around the United States to offset the carbon footprint. And who doesn’t love yummy fruit?
- 80% of our products are packaged in glass bottles. We use as little plastic as possible (only one of our products — our toner — is packaged in plastic).
- All of our bottles and jars are recyclable.
- The outer packaging (those cute pink boxes!) for our bottles is recyclable, too. In addition, these boxes use FSC-certified paper and are printed with soy-based inks.
- All of our products are 100% vegan so they don't rely on the environmentally destructive animal agriculture industry.
We hope Captain Planet would be proud.
Environmentally Friendly Skin Care Counts
When it comes to carbon footprints, nobody’s perfect. We all contribute to climate change in various ways — but as conscious consumers, we can make better choices that cause less of an impact on our collective planet.
In addition to buying green skin care products, here are a few ways you can cut your carbon footprint:
- Bring reusable bags when you shop and reusable food containers for leftovers and takeout to cut back on single use plastic.
- Eat more plant-based foods.
- Walk, ride your bike, or take public transportation when possible.
- Don’t buy fast fashion; opt to purchase from companies that are committed to sustainability.
- Eat local. Shop at farmer’s markets and stores that sell locally-grown items.
- Grow some of your own food with a small garden or potted plants. (Gardening is super relaxing, too.)
- Plant some trees!
All in all, green beauty is just about doing what’s best for the planet — and its inhabitants. As consumers, we always have the ability to make better choices. And at Fleur & Bee we strive to be a company our customers can feel good about!
We’re all in this together, after all.