As skin care geeks, we have to admit we get a little excited over hot new ingredients, which is why we’re so jazzed about coconut charcoal powder. While it’s not really all that new, it is hot - which is why, in this blog post, we’re talking about what coconut charcoal powder is, what it does, coconut charcoal powder benefits for skin, and how to use it.
IN A NUTSHELL
Ingredient Category: Absorbent
Main Benefit: Coconut charcoal powder can both exfoliate your skin and absorb toxins in it.
Find It In: Prince Charcoal Detox Mask.
What is Coconut Charcoal Powder?
Activated charcoal comes from wood, bamboo, coal, or coconut shells that have been burned at a very high temperature, turning it into powder. That powder is then heated up again to activate it. Once it’s activated, it can absorb toxins (this process is called chemical adsorption), making it a very effective skincare ingredient.
Coconut Charcoal Powder Skin Benefits
Here are just a few of the benefits of coconut charcoal powder for skin:
- Coconut charcoal powder exfoliates the skin - Not only does coconut charcoal powder exfoliate the skin, it does so gently so that the skin doesn’t get irritated. This is so important for those with sensitive or dry skin who can’t take a harsh exfoliant.
- Coconut charcoal powder unclogs pores - It effectively dislodges dirt and impurities from the skin, leaving your pores nice and clean.
- Coconut charcoal powder minimizes pores - By keeping pores clean and free of dirt and oil, it also helps minimize their appearance. This is especially important for oily skins who are more susceptible to a buildup of excessive oil on the skin.
- Coconut charcoal powder smooths the skin - Its ability to gently smooth even out skin texture is second to none.
- Coconut charcoal powder is gentle - As a natural product, coconut charcoal powder is much easier on the skin than other chemical ingredients, making it perfect for sensitive skins or just people who don’t like harsh exfoliants or cleansers.
How to Use Coconut Charcoal Powder
Incorporating coconut charcoal powder into your daily skincare routine is a cinch. You can buy activated coconut charcoal powder on its own and mix it into a paste, but there are much easier ways to benefit from it. There are a plethora of skincare products that utilize coconut charcoal powder in their formulas, and we highly recommend going that route. You’ll often find it in cleansers, exfoliants, and masks.
Here’s how to incorporate coconut charcoal powder into your skincare routine:
Cleanse Your Skin With a Gentle Cleanser
A gentle, non-drying cleanser like our So Clean! vegan facial cleanser is the perfect solution for cleansing skin of dirt and oil. Formulated for all skin types, it’s the perfect start to a comprehensive skin care routine. In addition to cleansing the skin, it also balances its oils and will remove makeup.
Hydrate Your Skin With a Toner
Once you’ve cleansed the skin, it’s a good idea to restore hydration with a refreshing spritz of our Rose and Shine vegan rose water toner. All you need is a few little spritzes to refresh the skin.
Apply a Serum
There’s no such thing as a good skincare routine without a brightening element, which is why we created our Nectar of the C vegan vitamin C serum. With a 10% vitamin C concentration, this serum helps restore a healthy glow to the skin.
No matter what type of skin you have, it’s absolutely crucial to keep it moisturized. Our Crème de la Cream vegan moisturizer is made for all skin types and will not only make sure skin stays hydrated, but will help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Use an Eye Cream
Because the area around your eyes is super sensitive and very thin, it’s really crucial to make sure you keep it treated properly with a dedicated eye cream, like Eyes Eyes Baby. Use your ring finger so you don’t pull too hard on your delicate skin.
Use a Detox Mask
A great way to supplement a fabulous skin care routine is with an every-now-and-then detox mask to remove all the excess oil, dirt and impurities that can build up on your skin. Perhaps it won’t surprise you that we included coconut charcoal powder in our incredible Prince Charcoal vegan detox mask. Filled with 28 nourishing actives, it rids the skin of impurities without drying it out. In addition to coconut charcoal powder, it also includes botanicals, antioxidants, and clays that help detox, balance, and nourish your skin.
We hope that clarifies what coconut charcoal powder is and even inspires you to give it a shot. We think it’ll be a major game changer in your skin care routine.