Like everything else that goes along with one’s teenage years, most teenagers experience at least a few ups and downs when it comes to their skin. That’s why it’s so important to make sure you're taking care of your skin the right way, or if you’re the parent of a teenager, to make sure your child is taking care of their skin correctly.
For that reason, in this blog, we’ll be talking about the best skincare routine for teens, what products they should be using, and what they don’t really need right now. As with anything, you should always check with their dermatologist before starting any course of treatment, but this will give you a basic idea of where to begin.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways: When it comes to teen skincare, keeping it simple is the way to go. Don’t over complicate your teen’s skincare routine and they’ll be much more likely to stick with it.
Good to Know: All you need to get your teen started on a skincare routine is a few simple, affordable products–no fancy, expensive extras necessary.
Recommended Products: So Clean! Facial Cleanser.
Best Skin Care Routine for Teens: Pro-Tips
Between hormones, stress, menstruation, junk food and a general lack of understanding about how to take care of skin, skincare can be a really tough but important issue for some teens. Getting them started on an easy-to-use, simple skincare routine is a really important part of helping shepherd them through this part of their lives and if you do it right, they’ll make it a lifetime habit.
Here are a few general tips for creating the best skincare routine for teens:
- Teach them good skincare habits now. Don't wait until issues arise before getting your teen on a daily skincare regimen. Good skin health starts with a consistent routine and good habits.
- Don’t overcomplicate it - Although some teens need to combine prescriptions or products from the dermatologist, generally speaking, there’s no reason teenagers need to worry about extra steps, such as targeted serums or eye creams. Keep it about the basics, and they’ll be much more likely to stick to it.
- Check the ingredients - As a company with a firm commitment to using only clean, non-toxic ingredients, we feel that there are certain ingredients absolutely no one should use. Whatever products you have your teenager use, be sure to check the ingredients for ingredients to avoid, like formaldehyde.
- Be understanding about their skin issues - Skin can be a remarkably sensitive issue for some teens who feel embarrassed about breakouts, acne, or other challenges. When you approach them about taking care of their skin, keep in mind that this might be a touchy issue for them and proceed with a listening ear.
- Teach them about the consequences of not taking care of your skin – You might remember an article that went viral a few years ago called “Wear Sunscreen” that offered advice to young people about how to prepare for life. It’s not a bad idea to do the same with skincare. Tell them about the consequences that spending too much time in the sun, smoking, and unhealthy eating habits can have on your skin and body.
- Even teenagers with great skin still need to take care of it - Even with genetically great skin, it's still vitally important to cleanse and moisturize daily. Remember, our skin is our largest organ and it needs maintenance as much as the rest of the body.
Best Skin Care Routine for Teens
Now that you’ve got some tips about how to approach your teen about their skincare routine, here is a simple, easy routine you can recommend to your teenager. Ideally, they should do this twice a day; but if you can only get them to do it once a day at first, that’s a good start.
Cleanse the Skin
Whether you’re a teenager or an adult, any good skincare routine starts with cleansing the skin well. For teenagers, this is especially important as hormones can cause oil to overproduce and potentially clog pores. Our So Clean! facial cleanser is a perfect face wash for teens, as it will remove excess oil and makeup.
Once their skin is cleansed of excessive oils, it needs to be replenished with a nourishing moisturizer. Our Crème de la Cream brightening moisturizer is great for all skin types and helps to keep their skin healthy with antioxidants like vitamin C.
Like cleansing the skin, this is one non-negotiable aspect of skincare. Long term damage from the sun's harmful UV rays can begin at any age. Whether your teen has fair skin or not, wearing sunscreen protects their skin from immediate consequences (burning) to damaging effects in the years to come. Skin cancer is a threat to everyone, no matter what their age or skin type.
We hope that helps you help your teen with their skincare routine-- or, if you’re a teenager yourself, helps you start one! A few minutes each morning and evening spent on your skin will make a world of different today and as you get older.